Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Native Plant Nursery Manager
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 12:00pm
Do you love native plants? Are you ridiculously organized? Are you paranoid about the spread of pathogens? Back to Natives is seeking a Nursery Manager for our Native Plant Nursery in Santa Ana. The Nursery Manager is responsible for providing excellent customer service, plant care (including watering, weed control and pest management), updating the inventory (including data entry), supervising volunteers, and maintaining the Nursery grounds.
This position is integral to setting a welcoming tone for our visitors and volunteers and educating the public about gardening with locally native plants. This enthusiastic and energetic individual should have an interest in horticulture and enjoy working with the public. In addition to assisting customers, the Nursery Manager is responsible for keeping the sales area, barns and propagation areas inviting and organized. Candidate should be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions. This position requires frequent heavy lifting, bending and walking on uneven terrain. The Nursery Manager reports to the Executive Director. Starting salary is $25,000/year.
- Caring for plants in the Nursery. Watering plants in containers and grounds. Weeding, pruning, and maintaining grounds within the Nursery. Recognizing and managing pests.
- Maintain optimal inventory by propagating native plants and ordering additional plants when necessary from wholesale native plant nurseries. Keep inventory updated and plants correctly labeled.
- Keeping Nursery neat and orderly. Keep barns, office and grounds (including greenhouses and shade houses) organized and accessible, and clear of trash, detritus and debris
- Customer Service. Assisting and educating customers about gardening with native plants. Work with customers in the sales area and via phone and email to answer questions and write up sales orders/receipts.
- Promoting classes, sales, membership, and events to visitors. May be asked to participate in programs, classes, and events, and help with communications and funds development.
- Obsession with sanitization. Keep tools and equipment (including vehicles) maintained and sanitized to prevent the spread of pathogens (weed seed/fungal or bacterial vectors). Maintaining sanitizing stations at the entrance to the Nursery to prevent pathogens from entering Nursery grounds.
- Maintain, repair and install irrigation systems.
- Maintain, repair and install shade screen for greenhouse and shade structures.
- Supervising volunteers, interns and staff in assisting with the above duties. Ensure they have information necessary to provide quality customer service, Train them to properly maintain plants and grounds.
- Landscape maintenance (or other duties) as required, to help fund the position.
- Management/leadership skills and experience is key!
- Nursery sales or comparable retail experience.
- Horticultural background preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs on a regular basis (50 lbs occasionally).
- Ability to work outdoors, even in inclement weather (heat, cold, or rain).
- Should be energetic and personable.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems highly desirable.
- Knowledge of nursery production practices and CA native plants highly desirable
Tuesday through Saturday, 8AM to 4:30PM. Additional days and hours as required. Must be able to work overtime during busy seasons. The position begins in October 2016.
How to Apply:
Apply: online at backtonatives.org – questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org