Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:The Outdoor School at Rancho Alegre
Immediate openings available for the Spring season through June 2017 and potential for rehire in 2017-2018 school year.
Naturalists lead Next Generation Science Standard (NGSS) outdoor curriculum hikes to fifth and sixth grade students on the local ecology of the mountains above Santa Barbara, CA at the residential facility of The Outdoor School. Naturalists are general role models for students, teachers, cabin leaders and other visitors.
- Lead 5 curriculum hikes (plant, animal, geology, night, and Chumash) and 3 special activities (9 mile hike, archery, etc.) each week.
- 1:16 Naturalist to student ratio.
- Work on a curriculum team to create new lesson plans, activities, and resources for their subject area.
- Develop lessons and activities that provide students with a direct experience to the natural world.
- Complete an independent project during assigned time that supports the program.
- Supervise/assist/lead meal time, journal writing, recreation time, showers, and campfires.
- Be a positive role model for the preservation of our natural environment.
- Be part of an amazing team in a beautiful setting!
Who we are looking for :
We are looking for educated, enthusiastic, high energy, flexible, patient people that enjoy being outdoors and working with children in an outdoor setting. You’re a team player that can work in a non-traditional work and education setting. Be ready to embarrass yourself at a campfire and if you can play an instrument that’s a plus! When children are on site, usually Tuesday morning – Friday afternoon, you must be available to work, including in the evening with various times off to equal a 40hr work week. This position is more than a job, it is a lifestyle! Your coworkers are your neighbors and you must be ready to work with a diverse staff as well as diverse student groups from all over the Central Coast. If you are ready to have fun at your job, this is the position for you!
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- A four-year degree in, science, natural history, education or a related subject.
- At least one year of experience providing instruction to school aged children in a science school or outdoor education setting.
- CPR/First Aid certified by employment start date.
Salary: $400 per 4-day week plus room and board on site
Health Stipend of $375/month after one year of regular Naturalist employment
End Date: June 2017 with potential for rehire in 2017-2018 school year
How to Apply:
Send resume, contact information for 3 references, and a cover letter that answers the question: "What is your environmental education philosophy as it relates to a residential science school?" to Ian Jackson at email@example.com
Apply early! Advanced consideration given to applications received by 3/3/2017