Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, September 30, 2016, 11:30pm
Website:YMCA Camp Carter
Education & Experience
- A degree in education, recreation, or a science related field or equvilent life experience
- Experience working with children, preferably in a camp setting.
Under the supervision of the Outdoor Education Coordinator, the Naturalist will instruct classes and lead activities offered to students from participating Outdoor Education schools. Naturalist will also perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Familiar with or knowledge of the natural science, experiential education, animal studies, social studies or other education or child development pursuits
- Must be willing to obtain CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications.
- Must have a valid Drivers License and liability insurance and be able to pass a Criminal Background Screening
HUMAN RELATIONS SKILLS
- Must be able to communicate and cooperate with other staff in a professional manner.
- Must be able to relate to program participants, both adults and children, with energy, enthusiasm, confidence, and professionalism.
SUPERVISION AND LEADERSHIP
- Must supervise and lead assigned groups of students, teachers, and chaperones.
- Must display leadership qualities to coworkers and program participants.
- Facilitate groups on challenge course low and high elements.
- Lead evening programming including night hikes, campfires, games or storytelling.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION
- Must plan and prepare lessons for daily classes.
- Must set up and break down equipment and teaching supplies daily.
- Must plan and coordinate morning and evening duties with other Naturalists.
- Help create interpretive displays for Camp Carter Nature Center.
- Assist Program Coordinator with curriculum research and writing.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGMENT
- Must make sound decisions in regards to the safety of all participants.
- Must make decisions that are in line with standards set forth by the YMCA
INITIATIVE AND ADAPTABILITY
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to daily programming changes due to weather, student behavior and scheduling conflicts.
- Must be a self-starter who is willing to take control of any given situation.
- Must be able to lead without constant instruction and direction.
COMMUNICATION AND CONFIDENTIALITY
- Must effectively communicate with staff and program participants the directions for program completion, meal procedures, and other activities
- Must be able to effectively relay vital information taught in classes.
- Any disclosure from a student must be reported to supervisor and disclosed information must be kept confidential based on YMCA and Texas guidelines
COST CONTROL AND FINANCIAL DEVELOPMENT
- Maintain all Outdoor Education program equipment.
- Notify Program Coordinator when supplies are needed.
- Aid in sales and inventory of camp store.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Requires moderate physical exertion needed for hiking, challenge course, canoeing, etc.
- Must be able to lift or carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to adjust and work in to various weather conditions.
Position Start Date:
Sunday, August 28, 2016
How to Apply:
Apply online: http://ymcafw.org/jobs/naturalist/
$294 per week + meals and housing