Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Naturalist at Camp Arroyo
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, April 15, 2017, 9:00pm
The YMCA at Camp Arroyo, Livermore, CA
Outdoor Environmental Education Program Director
The YMCA of the East Bay Outdoor School at Camp Arroyo is hiring Naturalists for Fall 2017 beginning September 5.
ABOUT THE YMCA:
The Y is a powerful association of men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life joined together by a shared passion: to strengthen the foundations of community. With a commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility, the Y ensures that every individual has access to the essentials needed to learn, grow and thrive.
Naturalists at the East Bay Outdoor School lead multi-day environmental education programs for diverse groups of fourth through sixth graders from around the Bay Area, September through June. Camp Arroyo is a “green-built” facility, owned by the East Bay Regional Park, where each year nearly 4000 youth come for a multi-night environmental education experience.
Our experiential curriculum focuses on the following content areas:
- Local ecology
- Native Ohlone culture
- Green building and renewable energy
- Challenge course (high & low ropes)
- Freshwater ecology
- Team building and climbing wall
- Organic gardening
- Regional Park Geology & Watersheds
Naturalist’s expectation during a typical week:
- Teaching environmental education curriculum to groups of 14-16 students
- Developing experiential, inquiry-based lesson plans
- Facilitating community-building initiatives with groups
- Orienting participants to program areas, including dining hall and cabins
- Leading two to three meals in dining hall
- Leading one to two structured activities during student recreation time
- Working two evening programs (skit nights, night hike, or dance)
- Assisting with the prep, maintenance, and clean-up of program supplies and areas
- Participating in staff development
- Working 1-2 weekend programs monthly
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge/Familiarity with curriculum above or the passion and desire to learn and grow
- Musical and Acting abilities are a BIG plus
- Ability to effectively work on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people
- Experience working with a diversity of youth from all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Challenge/ropes course experience preferred
- Positive behavior management skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Four-year degree or 1-3 years relevant work experience strongly preferred
- Current First Aid and CPR certification, with AED training
- Lifeguard certification, WFR/WFA/EMT certifications, and language skills are highly desirable
- Flexibility, a positive attitude and a sense of humor are absolutely required!
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL & COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations
- All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Fingerprints will be taken upon commencement of employment and will be submitted to the Association Office human resources department prior to beginning the first day of work
- Ability to walk up to 5 miles per day on varied terrain.
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
How to Apply:
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at YMCA of the East Bay. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit applications by April 15. All Positions Open Until Filled
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, 3 references and the standard YMCA employment application (available for download at ymcaeastbay.org/careers) to avandermeys @ ymcaeastbay.org or Alex Vandermeys, YMCA Camp Arroyo, 5535 Arroyo Rd., Livermore, CA 94550 (P) 925-455-7978 (W) ymcaeastbay.org/Locations/Camp-Arroyo.
· $440 per week
· Eligible for medical coverage after standard waiting period. It is an employee contribution plan that is heavily subsidized by the YMCA. You may choose to waive these benefits.
· Onsite housing or offsite housing allowance available
· Food during programming
· Stipend for professional development opportunities
· Pro-deal accounts with various outdoor equipment vendors