Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, August 1, 2020, 5:00pm
Website:Sierra Outdoor School
Sierra Outdoor School is a training ground for those interested in the field of Outdoor Education or Interpretation. Naturalist Interns will grow under the guidance of our experienced permanent Naturalists and Program Coordinators, learning a variety of classes, activities, and skills. Over the ten-month internship, interns will teach science classes, cultural history lessons, facilitate low ropes and team building activities, as well as learn how to belay and facilitate high rope elements and a zip line. Interns receive training in all classes before they teach on their own.
Additionally, paid training is provided throughout the year in areas including educational theory, classroom and group management, background in relevant sciences, and local natural and cultural history. Sierra Outdoor School also has an impressive Raptor Center. Interns will have the opportunity to learn non-releasable raptor management including feeding, handling, and teaching with the birds if this is an area of interest.
- College degree in the field of science, education, recreation, or related fields.
- Previous experience working with children required. Grades 4th-6th preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, clear fingerprints, and background check, and a negative TB test.
- First aid and CPR required. WFA/WFR/Lifeguard Certification beneficial, but not required.
- Ability to hike up to five miles per day in all weather conditions.
- Self-motivated, positive, energetic, and passionate about teaching and the outdoors.
- Willingness to live on-site, in shared housing, in a remote setting.
2020-2021 Intern Commitment: August 5, 2020 – June 11, 2021
Location: Sierra Outdoor School is located in the Stanislaus National Forest at an elevation of 4100’ in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The nearest towns are Sonora, Columbia, and Twain Harte.
Application Deadline: Until filled.
Position Start Date:
Wednesday, August 5, 2020
How to Apply:
Application process: To learn more about the Naturalist Internship position go to sos.cusd.com/BecomeanIntern.aspx. To complete an application go to https://www.edjoin.org/Home/DistrictJobPosting/1274927
Base monthly stipend of $2,200. Private bedroom in shared house, meals (when school is in session), paid training, worker’s compensation, $150 towards a conference, a paid day to visit another environmental education program, live and work in the beautiful foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains with other awesome educators!