Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Naturalist for Seasonal Field Studies Program
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 5:00pm
- Naturalist will be responsible for working cooperatively with fellow Frosty Drew naturalists to engage school-aged groups according to the program selected;
- Naturalist will coordinate with Program Assistant who will schedule programs with teachers, providing program information and dates for field visits to naturalists;
- Naturalist will be expected to have working knowledge of Ninigret Park and its ecosystems and be able to articulate this knowledge to participants;
- Naturalist will be expected to wade into the salt pond, handle a 40-foot seine net, handle live creatures with care, encourage hands-on exploration with enthusiasm, and engage questions;
- Naturalist will compile list of species collected after each program and enter onto a spreadsheet;
- Naturalist will work in cooperation with the Program Assistant, other naturalists/volunteers, with oversight by designated member of the Frosty Drew Board of Directors;
- Each naturalist will also provide his/her own end-of-season report.
- Additional Position Requirement: Naturalist will agree to submit a background check.
- Applicant should have a natural science background with knowledge of the marine ecosystem. Degree in environmental education and/or natural sciences preferred.
- Candidates should have the ability to maintain a high level of courtesy and communication and to organize and manage large and small groups of program participants, particularly children, in a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifeguard certification a plus.
- Should also have the ability to work outdoors in inclement weather. Outdoor teaching experience and working with groups of children pre-K through middle school is preferred.
Scope of Work:
Naturalist will lead hands-on, educational programs with school-aged groups. 2.5 - hour programs are generally offered in the morning and/or early afternoon, Mondays through Fridays. Staff time includes additional time before and after each program for set-up & clean up.
Hourly pay rate is $20 per hour. No additional benefits or travel reimbursement are offered at this time. (Number of hours per week varies.)
How to Apply:
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 references by March 1, 2017. Please email PDFs to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to: Frosty Drew Nature Center, Attn: Field Studies Search Committee, PO Box 160, Charlestown, RI 02813Fr