Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Naturalist/Adventure Tour Guide
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, April 3, 2017, 5:00pm
Scope of Duties:
This position serves visitors to Mackinac State Historic Parks by working as a uniformed interpretive naturalists and adventure tour guide at Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park. This full-time seasonal position is responsible for interpreting the natural history of the park while leading the high ropes Adventure Tours and providing nature themed presentations at various locations in the park.
- Put our visitors first by treating them with respect, serving their needs and providing an enjoyable and educational experience.
- Lead natural history interpretation tours on the park’s high ropes Adventure Course, which includes the Forest Canopy Bridge, Eagle’s Flight Zip Line and the Climbing Wall Nature Trail.
- Present regularly scheduled talks and guided walks on a variety of natural history topics.
- Provide informal interpretation about the cultural and natural history of the Straits area at the Mill Creek Visitor’s Center and at nearby natural features.
- Present environmental education programs (including talks and guided nature hikes) to groups of students visiting the park between May and June.
- Help monitor and protect the park’s fragile natural features from human abuse.
- Help to improve and maintain the park’s trail system.
- Maintain the Visitor’s Center’s wildlife observation area and native species plantings around the Visitor’s Center.
- Participate in other interpretive presentations or park duties as required.
- Must be 18 years or older as of date of hire.
- Must have or be working towards a degree in natural resources management; biological, earth or environmental science; recreation; communication; education; interpretation or related field.
- Must be out-going, enthusiastic and have strong public contact and speaking skills
- Must have a practical knowledge of forest and stream ecology and be able to identify common plants and animals found in northern Michigan.
- Must be able to work the number of weeks assigned (positions work 12 to 23 weeks and will start in early May or June and work to Labor Day or mid-October; length of employment will vary depending on the position).
Work Location and Schedule:
The workstation for this position is Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park located just outside of Mackinaw City, although the employee may occasionally be required to work at other MSHP sites as dictated by park needs. Work schedules are posted in advance and are subject to change depending on park operational needs. A normal work schedule is 40 hours per week, although hours and weeks worked may vary. The employee may be required to work evenings, holidays, and/or weekends as park needs dictate.
More information and application is available at our website.
How to Apply:
Please fill out application, add resume and cover letter. All information available here: http://www.mackinacparks.com/employment/naturalistadventure-tour-guide/
Deadline is April 3, 2017, but we are hiring now, so please submit your applications in as soon as possible!