Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature-based Education Intern
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Bernheim Employment Page
RESPONSIBILITIES & ACTIVITIES:
Major responsibilities of the Nature-based Education Intern at Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest (Bernheim) include, but are not limited to, working with Education Department staff and volunteers to:
- Assist in the development of nature-based programming at Bernheim, including research to support programming, creating program outlines and lesson plans, securing program materials and resources, etc.
- Offer nature-based programming to Bernheim visitors, including the general public, youth and family audiences, Pre-K-12 youth groups, summer campers, etc.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Education Center activities and resources, including permanent exhibits, rotating activities, the Education Classroom, Wildlife Viewing Room, I Spy Trail, Art Barn, interpretive resource areas, etc.
- Support Bernheim’s ECO Kids (Every Child Outside) initiative, including developing and offering ECO Kids Discovery Days activities and assisting with Pollywog Play Parties.
- Collaborate with other Bernheim departments through education initiatives and involvement in staff work days, on-site events, off-site outreach, and general tasks associated with Natural Areas, Horticulture, Visitor Services, and other departments.
- Perform other duties as necessary and assigned, including possible clerical work and database management.
RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND & SKILLS:
The position of Nature-based Education Intern is open to all undergraduate and graduate students with a passion for connecting people with nature through meaningful education and direct contact with the natural world. Preference is given to applicants with an academic background and/or career experience in the fields of environmental education, science education, natural interpretation, natural history, earth and natural sciences, formal and informal education, or other related areas.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND & SKILLS:
To perform this internship successfully an individual must be able to perform each requirement in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the requirements):
- Experience working with the public, ranging in scale from one-on-one conversations to large group presentations.
- Experience in educating the public, especially youth and family audiences, regarding nature, ecosystems, natural sciences, etc.
- Experience in developing education programs and resources.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently while maintaining a friendly and professional image with coworkers and the public.
- Must be able to perform basic physical duties including but not limited to walking with ease, moving frequently, lifting and moving props and materials, shifting from sitting to standing position and kneeling for extended time periods.
- Ability to traverse difficult terrain and deal with potential exposure to ticks, chiggers, intense heat and sunlight, water, and other harsh environmental conditions.
- Ability to communicate, work, live, and function effectively within a team of interns.
- Attention to dressing in a professional manner for field, office, and professional settings.
- Hold a valid driver's license and pass a background check.
Required technological skills include:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Ability to promote Bernheim through social media efforts, including the Bernheim website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, eNews, etc.
- Ability to research work-related information via internet.
- Ability to run basic office and support equipment, including computers, projectors, camera, copy machine, fax machine, telephone switchboard, laminator, etc.
How to Apply:
To apply for the position for Nature-based Education Intern, please submit resume and cover letter via email to Lorie Messer, Human Resource Assistant, at email@example.com.