Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature Based Summer Camp Assistant ~ LandPaths
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, May 20, 2016, 12:00pm
Job Title: Owl Camp Assistant
Classification: Seasonal, Full-Time, Non-Exempt (A bilingual candidate with demonstrable connection/experience working with Spanish-speaking populations may be eligible for a year-round position)
Work Hours: 8am- 4pm, M-F, June 15th–Aug 15th (Camp Prep, Camp Implementation & Post-Camp Duties)
Reports To: Field Programs Manager
Rate of Pay: $16-$18/hr
LandPaths seeks an Owl Camp Assistant to help with the facilitation of Owl Camp, a four week long, nature-based day camp open to young people ages 5-13, located at Rancho Mark West in Northeast Santa Rosa. The Assistant will assist with general camp planning and preparation, specifically focusing on leading daily activities with younger campers, ages 5-10.
While it is not required for this position, a bilingual candidate with demonstrable connection/experience working with Spanish-speaking populations may be eligible for a year-round position.
Daily activities at Owl Camp may include storytelling, tracking, creek exploration, archery, swimming, music, keeping a nature journal, building things from nature, music, nature games, learning bird calls, hiking, canoeing, exploring redwood & salmon habitat, woodworking, cooking and organic gardening. We are looking to hire an individual who has experience in many of the above activities, as well as the ability to bring some other creative ideas to the table. The ideal candidate will have experience leading youth in outdoor education settings; have a zest for life; be flexible; and is seeking exciting, collaborative work in a beautiful setting.
- Work in a collaborative team to plan the overall camp “vibe.”
- Assist in the creation, preparation, organization, and break-down of Owl Camp supplies, materials, etc.
- Prepare day to day activities (including games, crafts, hikes, orienteering adventures, and more) that are relevant to each week’s theme and appropriate to the age, fitness and interest level of the campers.
Themes and dates for each session are as follows:
- Theatre Camp with the Imaginists (July 4-8)
- Ecology Camp (July 11-16)
- Ancestral Knowledge and Native Skills (July 25-29)
- Homesteading (August 1-5)
- At least 21 years of age
- Valid driver’s license & clear driving record
- Relevant college level work in education, sciences, related fields and/or relevant work experience (i.e. camp counselor)
- Experience leading youth in outdoor environments
- Experience in program development in environmental education
- Brings ideas for theme- based crafts, activities, and games
- Ability to remain calm and flexible amidst rapidly changing priorities
- Professional demeanor
- Detail oriented, well organized
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Desire for collaborative work environment, while able to work independently
- Bilingual English & Spanish
- Demonstrable connection/experience working with Spanish-speaking populations
- Commercial Class B license
- Interest in, and enthusiasm for, LandPaths’ mission
- Current First Aid and CPR Certifications
- Lifeguard, Water Safety & Boating Safety qualifications or experience
How to Apply:
Email resume and brief cover letter to: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
APPLY NOW! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until Friday, May 20th, 2016.
Rate of Pay: $16-$18/hr