Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature Education Assistant
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, January 26, 2018, 4:30pm
Location: City of Fredericksburg, Virginia - Department of Parks, Recreation and Events
Work Year: Permanent, Part-time. Year-round approx. 20 hours/week with including 3-4 weeks of summer camp at 40 hours.
Responsible to: Nature Education Supervisor
Compensation: $18.04 per hour
Who We Are:
Since 1994, the City of Fredericksburg Department of Parks & Recreation has offered an outstanding nature program. We strive to provide high-quality nature education and interpretation, summer camps and more for schools, scouts, youth, and families. It is our goal to promote environmental awareness and stewardship, and to enhance participants' quality of life. Our primary program sites are Motts Run Reservoir, an 860-acre natural area hosting a nature center and 5-miles of trails, and Alum Spring and Dixon Parks.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- In cooperation with Nature Education Supervisor, creates, schedules, and conducts state standards based field trips for private, public, and homeschool groups on a variety of natural history subjects.
- Creates and conducts programs to engage public (children, teens, scouts, families, adults, at risk youth) on natural history topics which promote awareness and stewardship of the natural resources of our parks and region.
- Understands and utilizes recreational management software for promotion and scheduling of programs.
- Produces attractive and effective promotional materials.
- Utilizes a platform of social media outlets to engage patrons and promote programming.
- Records and tracks expenses related to programming.
- Creates annual nature center volunteer schedule utilizing Sign-Up Genius and tracks as needed to assure shifts are filled.
- Markets opportunities, secures and trains volunteers for weekend shifts at Motts Run Reservoir Nature Center.
- Plans and implements annual Nature Center Volunteer Cookout.
- Assists with care of nature center exhibits including live corn snake.
- Assists with planning and preparation of Camp Hideaway and Camp Wildwood nature day camps and serves as lead instructor at three to four weeks of summer day camps (40 hour week).
- Assists with planning and implementation of special events to include Earth Day Festival, Kids' Fishing Derby, Spooky Stories by the Shore, and annual Campout in the Park.
- Attends periodic professional development workshops and training.
- Assists with securing volunteers and conducting annual Nature Center & Nature Play Space outdoor workday.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Requirements of Position:
- Bachelor's degree in forestry, biology, natural resources or a related field
- Two (2) years minimum experience developing and implementing nature education programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid administrative and computer skills
- Possesses the qualities of integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, and good humor
- Able to lift heavy objects, up to 50 pounds when necessary
- Able to pass a background check
- Current CPR and First Aid or willingness to obtain
- Valid driver's license issued by the state
How to Apply:
While the position is open until filled, completed City Applications and resumes should be submitted before the close of business on Friday, January 26, 2018 by following the instructions at:
City of Fredericksburg Human Resources Dept
715 Princess Anne Street, Room 217
P.O. Box 7447
Fredericksburg, VA 22404-7447