Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature Pre-School Co-Teacher
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
About Little Leaf:
Little Leaf is a nature-preschool that is inspired by the Waldorf, Reggio Emilia and forest kindergarten ideologies. We are a progressive school with 18 children and we emphasize time in nature, lots of free play, and an emergent curriculum developed in collaboration with the children. We are located within a senior residence community and use their 25 acres as our wild space. Throughout our day, we promote connection between the senior residents and the children through planned activities and impromptu meetings. We are located in Hastings-on-Hudson, 30 minutes north of NYC and we are licensed by NY State.
- To nurture and guide the children through warmth, rhythm, and free, imaginative play
- To develop and implement routines to ensure a calm day-to-day experience
- To co-create and participate in a documentation process of the children’s learning through photography, captured conversations, video, and story boards and to extend the children’s interests in a multi-disciplinary project-based approach
- To lead children on daily nature walks and outdoor experiences
- To promote outdoor exploration and connection to the natural world
- Develop a positive relationship with each child and promote the development of self-esteem and independence
- To plan and implement appropriate creative activities in the classroom and outdoors
- To provide ample time for free unstructured play both indoors and outside
- To work cooperatively with all staff and residents at Andrus-on-Hudson, the nursing home facility where the school is located
- Maintain records on each child’s progress and development
- Help maintain facility in a safe and satisfactory condition in compliance with licensing requirements.
- Provide day-to-day supervision and support to teacher assistants and attend weekly meetings
Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree and at least two years experience as a Lead Teacher in a progressive preschool setting. Knowledge of Waldorf and Reggio Emelia pedagogies helpful. A love of the outdoors - comfortable in all kinds of weather a must! CPR and First Aid Certification required. Must obtain current FBI fingerprinting background card. Must provide proof of negative TB test and MMR vaccinations. Experience working in nature with children a big plus!
Salary competitive and commensurate with experience.