Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Ohio NRCS Pollinator Liaison
Pollinator Partnership (P2) is looking for an experienced and passionate professional who possesses the skills to expand and enhance the NRCS and Pollinator Partnership pollinator programs. This candidate should be a detailed and team-oriented professional, have a strong work ethic, and be committed to the mission and values of P2. The successful candidate should be interested in agriculture and pollinator conservation.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
This position is largely office based and requires computer and internet access. The Ohio NRCS Pollinator Liaison is responsible for the following duties and others as assigned:
- Gain familiarity with Ohio specific NRCS conservation implementation procedures, key pollinator standards, specifications and implementation requirements, hierarchy, partners, and expectations.
- Coordinate and routinely communicate with NRCS State, Area, and Field Office staff and key partners in Ohio regarding project activities and status updates.
- Utilize existing P2 program contacts to promote NRCS conservation programs and technical assistance for pollinator and beneficial species habitat through outreach activities and direct contact.
- Assist NRCS conservation planners, partners, and/or landowners by helping initiate, or contribute to the development of, pollinator or beneficial insect conservation plans.
- Assist NRCS in conducting staff training events, including field days, twilight meetings, or workshops at regional agricultural conferences.
- Develop and provide NRCS with education and outreach material promoting and celebrating Farm Bill Programs and pollinator habitat projects and outcomes through success stories, blogs, social media, newsletters, and other mediums.
- Conduct or support public outreach events to promote pollinator habitat.
- Work with local SWCDs and NRCS to follow up with direct contact with individual landowners to discuss pollinator habitat opportunities, address questions and concerns.
- Assist NRCS with the development of technical material, particularly in urban farming, to support pollinator habitat in these settings.
- Assist NRCS in the development of a monitoring plan when there is potential risk to pollinators due to invasive species and provide NRCS leadership with talking points.
Personal and Professional Qualifications:
The State Pollinator Liaison should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Degree in natural resource management, biology, botany, ecology, or related field
- Knowledge of the ecology of bees, butterflies, other pollinators, or beneficial insects
- Experience in conservation partnerships, conservation planning, pollinator habitat restoration, and technical training highly preferred
- Understanding of regional farming systems and crops, including pesticides and pesticide use, and experience with common agricultural practices of the Midwest (preferred)
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management practices, Conservation Biological Control, and other strategies for reducing negative impacts of pest management on pollinators and other beneficial insects (preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills and ability to communicate directly with partners and landowners
- Strong planning and implementation skills, with the ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Dependable, well-organized, and detail-oriented
- Should be comfortable working outside, willing and able to work across various habitat settings
- Computer literate (MS Office programs and Google Office Suite)
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
As a remote employee, individuals will need computer access and a workspace
Location: Ohio (will work remotely)
How to Apply:
How to Apply: Interested candidates should email the following information to Amber Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume with contact information for three references
- Cover letter describing why you are a good fit for the position
- Attach the resume and cover letter as 1 PDF
- Please name the email subject and attached PDF “NRCS Ohio Coordinator – Last Name”
An inability to following the instructions above will result in an automatically rejected application.
No phone calls please.