Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Christodora Work Opportunities
Christodora, a 124-year-old non-profit, secular organization, based in New York City, seeks Outdoor Educators to work at its Manice Education Center (MEC) located in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts on a 200-acre wooded campus. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to an intentional, seasonal community that offers residential outdoor environmental and expedition education programs for approximately 950 youth from New York City from April through October each year. In spring and fall, MEC hosts two environmental education field trips each week for NYC public schools for approximately 40 students during each trip; and in summer, MEC offers a full season of expedition and environmental education camps for NYC youth in grades 6-12 with approximately 40 campers at each of the typically five sessions: exploratory, foundational, advanced, high school leadership training course, and BRIDGE. Enjoy living and working in a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers in a forested playground, sandwiched between multiple state forests, rivers, and ponds.
Join our Team: June 7 – Aug 26, 2021
Summer Training Opportunities
- SOLO Wilderness First Aid (WFA), CPR, Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, professional tandem canoe skill clinic, and overnight backpacking and camping skills
- All educators receive hands-on training in the delivery of an experientially driven curriculum, low-element challenge course facilitation, and ongoing professional development as an outdoor and environmental educator in a program using cutting edge techniques in youth development
- Facilitate low-element challenge course activities designed for teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development outcomes
- Inspire curiosity about the natural world through discovery-based activities in forested ecosystems. Use our testing equipment and interact with live exhibits in our science lab
- Introduce gardening, composting and small-scale farming with small flock of chickens
- Learn and teach wilderness survival skills including primitive fire making, shelter building, and foraging for wild edibles
- Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and the magic of bioluminescence
- Work closely with other educators in your “activity group” to create meaningful, problem-based, experiential, and active environmental science lessons
- Overnight supervision of four to five youth in canvas-walled, cabin-style, platform tents
- Celebrate with skits, music, and s’mores at our campfire program - rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest - that can seat the entire campus
- Mentor Outdoor Educator Assistants as part of a small co-teaching group working with eight to ten participants
Outdoor Educators in our Summer Programs lead environmental and expedition explorations in a range of camp sessions 10-21 days in length including: overnight wilderness excursions backpacking/canoeing for 1-3 days in length; lead youth in service projects to improve publicly used wilderness areas and trails; science explorations; and other camp-based programs.
**Outdoor Educators work as Outdoor Education Residential Camp Counselors
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
- BA/BS in related discipline preferred. Significant professional experience considered.
- Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
- Experience in outdoor education and leadership training in a camp or outdoor setting
- Experience working with urban school groups (field trip program only)
- Experience with wilderness navigation (summer only)
- Spanish/English bilingual a plus
- Valid driver’s license
- Competitive weekly salary
- Room and board at MEC during employment
- Outdoor equipment discounts
Position Start Date:
Monday, June 7, 2021
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and detailed cover letter in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with only “MEC Outdoor Educator” as the subject of the message. Three professional references may be requested following an initial interview.
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment, and applicants are encouraged to include how they will further this goal in their application materials. Please do not call. You may also mail a resume and cover letter to: Brett Billings, Manice Education Center, 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.