Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Outdoor Preschool Lead Teacher
Website:Fidalgo Nature School
We Are Growing!
OUTDOOR PRESCHOOL LEAD TEACHER
(2020-2021 School Year; 25-30 hrs/week)
Fidalgo Nature School is seeking a Lead Teacher for our all-outdoor preschool program for 3-5 year olds with access to forest and waterways within parks in Island and Skagit counties. We are looking for teachers to work with 3-5-year-olds Monday to Friday between 8:45am and 1:15pm.
Fidalgo Nature School aims to provide a high quality and well rounded education, grounded in emergent play in the outdoors. Research shows that emergent play-based preschool prepares students for success in kindergarten and a life of learning. The outdoor classroom presents an engaging, dynamic environment for this; our teachers are an essential part of helping students develop a sense of belonging in nature, explore themes of compassion, respect and stewardship, and learn through exploration, play and experiment. Our lead teacher will supervise all school day activities and work in tandem with an assistant teacher (4:1 teacher/student ratio).
We are committed to hiring and retaining staff with a diverse range of experiences and to creating a safe play space for children, fostering a love for the outdoors, and creating an equitable environment and community.
Lead Teacher Responsibilities:
- Work with the board of directors, community partners and fellow teachers to teach and help design lessons for Fidalgo Nature School.
- Assure that the classroom operates within the guidelines and standards of the Washington State Department of Children, Youth, & Families (DCYF).
- Create an inviting and emotionally safe classroom meeting the cultural, behavioral and physical needs of your students.
- Be responsible for the health, safety, and welfare of all children. This includes helping children stay warm and dry in wet weather, managing risk in an outdoor setting, and addressing student conflict.
- Conduct student assessments as well as parent-teacher conferences
- Collaborate on family-teacher communication and student data-tracking using technology such as Gmail, Google Drive, Google Voice, Facebook, and online services
- Conduct weekly planning.
- Setup and take down the classroom daily, including canopies in wet/cold weather.
- Contribute to the development and review of policies and procedures as needed
- Be an ambassador for the classroom’s park when interacting with the public.
- Assist students in the restroom and do standing diaper changes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two or more years of experience working with preschool age children in an Early Childhood Education (ECE) setting.
- Have an ECE initial certificate or equivalent (upon hiring, or obtain within 5 years) and/or environmental education. Teaching teams must have a combination of ECE and environmental education experience.
- Familiar with play-based/emergent/inquiry-based education for young children.
- Innovative, flexible and willing to help develop curricula and programs
- Dedicated to equity in education with an anti-bias approach.
- Willing to support Fidalgo Nature School in the process of licensure through Washington State Department of Early Learning (DEL) as part of Washington State’s Outdoor Preschool Licensing Pilot.
- Must be First Aid/CPR certified, but can complete training after hire.
Highly desired but not required :
- Bilingual: Spanish, ASL, or other languages to be used in the classroom
- Emergency preparedness and response training such as Wilderness First Responder, EMT, Lifeguard certifications
- AA or BA in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Environmental Education or related
- Experience teaching, coaching or leading preschool-aged children in an outdoor environment
- Knowledge of natural history/science, plant/animal identification, knowledge of agricultural practices, trail building or land stewardship, 4H experience and other experiences that have allowed you to connect with nature
- Applicant to have their own working cell phone that has a carrier that offers service in the Skagit/Island county parks and forest lands
To apply, please send your resume, references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for an interview. This position requires a background check through the WA state MERIT system.
Fidalgo Nature School is operated by a volunteer board composed of early childhood and environmental education/STEM specialists, parents and community partners. For more information about our school, please see www.fidalgonatureschool.com.
School start date: September 14th (in sync with Anacortes School District)
Fidalgo Nature School is committed to equity in the hiring process and will not discriminate in employment practices or client services based on race, creed, ethnicity, national origin, sex, honorably discharged veteran or military status, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, or ability; and will comply with the requirements of the Washington law against discrimination.
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, September 1, 2020
How to Apply: