Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Outdoor Preschool Teacher/Environmental Educator
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, August 19, 2022, 5:00pm
Website:Darien Nature Center
The Darien Nature Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring passion and respect for the natural world through nature education, hands-on experiences with nature, and environmental action and stewardship. We envision a community that is deeply connected to nature and is inspired to take action to preserve and protect it.
We are seeking a part-time, non-exempt teacher to work weekdays during the school year (early September – mid June). Schedule may include mornings and/or afternoons, generally between the hours of 8:45am – 3:30pm. Teachers may work as few as four hours per week or as many as twenty-five. This is a great opportunity for educators who have a passion for nature and love sharing its wonders with children.
- Work with co-teacher to prepare daily, developmentally appropriate lesson plans based on provided curriculum
- Embrace the Darien Nature Center philosophy of nature-based play and incorporate these experiences into daily activities
- Convey a love and respect for the natural world. Be willing to be outdoors in all weather, get dirty, handle animals, and engage deeply in nature
- Utilize available materials, artifacts and live animals to enhance experience
- Assume responsibility for the care and safety of all children enrolled in designated class
- Communicate with parents regularly
- Keep classroom materials clean and organized
- Follow all health and safety protocols
- Report to the Program Director any concerns or challenges
- Attend and participate in regular staff meetings
- Additional duties as assigned
- Passion for nature and nature education
- Experience working with toddlers and/or preschoolers
- Understanding of child development and developmentally appropriate practices
- Warm, loving and kind demeanor with children
- Strong work ethic and personal integrity
- Team-oriented with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to changing conditions
- Spend multiple hours outdoors in all weather (heat, cold, rain, snow)
- Walk on rough terrain, keeping pace with the children
- Engage in sustained physical activity throughout the day
- Lift up to 50 pounds
- Run for short distances
- Easily transition from sit to stand position
The Darien Nature Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Compensation: $25/hour starting rate
Position Start Date:
Thursday, August 25, 2022
How to Apply:
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Emily Ciffone, Program Director at email@example.com.
Compensation: $25/hour starting rate.