Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Outreach and Events Program Assistant
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Thursday, April 13, 2017, 4:00pm
May - August 2017
Time Commitment: Approximately 15 hrs/week or 2 days/week (Flexible)
$10/hour, no benefits
Learning and Benefits:
This position provides experience in strategic event planning, project management, multicultural communications, community outreach, outdoor education, and canoeing/kayaking. The program assistant will gain familiarity with the workings of a successful watershed council and small non-profit organization with numerous opportunities to network with local agencies and organizations. Through this position, the program assistant will help create positive changes in the greater Portland metro area while developing their own skills and gaining work experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Outreach & Events Coordination (70% of time):
- Assist with event design, planning, promotion and implementation
- Assist with the development and delivery of outreach materials (online and in-person)
- Assist with the development of promotional materials including electronic monthly e-news, website and social media stories, and other materials as needed
- Assist with inventory acquisition and management
- Represent the Council at off-site community events
- Research and recruit event sponsors, vendors, and donors for summer festivals
Volunteer Coordination (10% of time):
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator with volunteer training and management at events
On-the-Water Programs (20% of time):
- Organize and assist with water-based educational program delivery
- Deliver safety talks and prepare gear
- Provide direction and supervision to students, adults, and volunteers during programs with staff guidance
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Education:
- Able to work well with people of diverse ages and backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Proficiency in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs (Adobe Creative Suite a plus)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with both large and small teams
- Excellent communication skills to include writing, public speaking, and networking
- Prior canoeing/kayaking experience not required, but must demonstrate interest
- Able to lift 30 lbs overhead
- Ability to communicate in another non-English language that is spoken in the watershed such as Spanish, Vietnamese, Laotian, Russian, Somali
- Connection to the communities in our watershed (North to Northeast Portland, Fairview, and/or Gresham)
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience leading canoeing/kayaking programs
- Passion for and knowledge of local and regional social and environmental racial and social disparities
- Knowledge of local flora, fauna and water quality issues
- Experience organizing and implementing small and large community events
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Illustrator
- High school diploma, GED, and/or bachelor’s degree in science, natural resources, communications or related field
- Background in field-based science education
- Certified in CPR and Basic First Aid
This position involves working in an outdoor setting, in varied weather conditions, often canoeing/kayaking, cycling, walking and hiking on trails and ground of varied terrain. Must be able to regularly lift 30 lbs overhead.
The Columbia Slough Watershed Council is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization made up of a diverse group of neighbors, property owners, businesses, environmental groups, recreation advocates and government agencies who work to restore and enhance the 60 miles of waterways, wetlands and slow moving channels known as the Columbia Slough, located in Portland, Gresham, and Fairview. Our mission is “to protect and enhance the Columbia Slough and its watershed through community engagement, education, and restoration.”
Visit www.columbiaslough.org for information about the Columbia Slough Watershed Council.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to Outreach and Events Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 4pm.
In your cover letter, please highlight how this position will help you to advance your personal and professional goals.