Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Paid Pollinator Garden Education Intern
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, August 9, 2021, 5:00pm
The Pollinator Garden Education (PGE) Intern will receive training that will allow them to deliver education pollinator-themed programs, carry out horticulture tasks, collect visitor survey data and collect data on citizen science projects at the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. The PGE intern will split time between public programs education (75%) and horticulture tasks (25%). Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducting public education programs both indoors and outdoors on topics related to pollinators, habitat gardening & native plants; may involve handling live animals such as frogs & turtles
- Providing information to Aquarium visitors, including teachers, students, and the general public; staffing discovery carts and learning stations related to Pollinator Gardens; answering questions in various exhibit areas, in outdoor gardens, and at plant sales
- Assist Horticulturist with Pollinator Garden maintenance including watering plants, removing weeds, caring for plants in the nursery, and planting in the garden
- Collecting data for various pollinator citizen science projects, including weekly butterfly surveys and monarch tracking, and visitor surveys
- Assisting with other tasks as assigned
This position requires the ability to assemble educational materials, to research terrestrial and aquatic topics related to plants and animals native to North Carolina, complete manual labor in an efficient manner in strenuous outdoor conditions. Additional responsibilities and projects will be assigned by the Horticulturist or full-time Educators. All staff and volunteers are required to follow DNCR guidelines regarding Covid-19 safety measures.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Applicants should prove through their record of work, education, and/or volunteer experience, and/or demonstrate in their interview that they are articulate communicators, have good public speaking and organizational skills, that they interact well with the general public, children, co-workers, and volunteers, and that they are adaptable to different teaching situations. Applicants should also be comfortable with manual labor and working while exposed to unfavorable weather conditions such as heat, wind, and bugs. Knowledge of plants is desirable but not required.
Minimum Education and Experience
- High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and one year of experience as related to knowledge, skills, and abilities in area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources’ (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state's natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational, and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve quality of life by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries, and nature throughout North Carolina. The Department works to stimulate learning, inspire creativity, preserve the state's history, conserve the state's natural heritage, encourage recreation and cultural tourism, and promote economic development. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state’s diverse population, culture, and history by expanding engagement with diverse individuals and communities. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
The mission of the North Carolina Aquariums is to inspire appreciation and conservation of North Carolina’s aquatic environments. This mission is achieved by attracting, retaining, and developing a world class team of professionals; providing visitors with outstanding exhibits, experiences and customer service; practicing sustainability, internal customer service and fiscal responsibility; and working to save and restore aquatic species and habitats.
The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is located in Manteo, NC and is nine miles from the Atlantic coastline in Nags Head. The 61,000 square-foot facility is sited on 16 acres overlooking the Croatan Sound and houses over 1600 animals in its collection. Over 280,000 guests visit the aquarium each year to see the largest collection of sharks in North Carolina, learn about sea turtle conservation, participate in a variety of programs, enjoy the beauty of the area, and think about how special North Carolina’s waterways are.
How to Apply:
All applications must be received by August 09 at 5:00 PM
All relevant experience must be included on the application to receive proper credit. A resume and cover letter should be submitted along with the completed state application PD-107. The Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (DNCR) uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institution. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
A North Carolina State Application Form PD-107 is required, and may be downloaded from the NC Office of State Personnel website at https://files.nc.gov/ncoshr/documents/files/pd107ltr-Nov-2020.pdf. A cover letter and resume may also be submitted but will NOT be accepted in lieu of the NC State Application PD-107 form. Applications which do not include the applicant’s signature are considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
Send via email (preferred) or postal mail a cover letter, current resume, and state application form PD-107 to Paul Mazzei at: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please consolidate cover letter, resume, and PD-107 into one document and send as a single PDF document)
NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
C/O Paul Mazzei
PO Box 967/374 Airport Rd.
Manteo, NC, 2795
$11.32/hour, maximum of 320 hours
Start date is flexible, but ideally position would run from Aug-October. It is preferred that selected candidate work 32 hours/week. However, there is flexibility in hours worked per week, with a minimum of 20 and maximum of 40 (position not to exceed 320 hours in total).