Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Sierra Nevada Journeys
Sierra Nevada Journeys is seeking dynamic education professionals to help expand the program base in Sacramento, CA. This position requires motivated individuals with an engaging personality and an insistence on excellence who is passionate about building scientific literacy and critical thinking capacity through outdoor science education across classrooms that mirror the demographics in the Sacramento region. We are seeking someone prepared to teach in a variety of settings (classroom, outdoors, family science nights), grade and analyze assessments and support the overall education operations of the Classrooms Unleashed program. The position requires an individual who is able to thrive independently and work well on a team, and who is committed to supporting a non-‐profit on the cutting edge of the Informal Education industry. Part-‐time Educators will report directly to Sierra Nevada Journeys’ Sacramento Program Director.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Teach Sierra Nevada Journeys programs in the classroom and field and lead Family Science Nights. Typical programs may include the following (85%):
- Classrooms Unleashed programs consist of four lesson units based on topics including Watershed, Earth Science and Life Science, and culminate with an outdoor field study at a local natural area.
- Outdoor field studies include leading trail groups of 12-‐20 students through a variety of field-‐based science activities during ½ day field trips to local natural areas.
- Family Science Night events hosted by Sierra Nevada Journeys at schools for parent engagement. Lead science stations and engineering challenges.
Deliver and analyze student assessment and teacher program evaluations for program feedback and improvement (15%).
Summers: Depends on applicant. Program development, curriculum writing, and/or supporting, teaching or observing other SNJ programs.
- 1+ years teaching experience (Substitute license or teaching credential required, CA preferred)
- Excellent written, phone and in-‐person professional communication skills
- Current Red Cross CPR and First Aid (or willing to fulfill this requirement prior to start date)
- Ability to pass background check
- Passionate commitment to providing opportunities for/working with kids of all backgrounds
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is fast-‐paced, creative, dynamic, and growing
- The ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and hike 4-‐5 miles with a backpack
- Reliable vehicle (ability to drive to school and field sites in and around a large city)
- Higher education degree in related field
- Wilderness First Responder certification
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Dynamic work environment
- Fun/fulfilling career
- Innovative company focused on improving outdoor education delivery
How to Apply:
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email please include “PT Educator” and your last name.