Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Piedmont Field Instructor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, October 28, 2016, 5:00pm
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: PIEDMONT FIELD INSTRUCTOR/S (5 positions)
LOCATION: Salisbury, NC (and surrounding counties). Muddy Sneakers’ new Piedmont NC Field Office will look to serve public schools in Rowan, Davidson, Randolph, Stanly and Montgomery Counties
SUMMARY: The position/s of Piedmont Field Instructor for Muddy Sneakers (MS) is a part-time (2-5 days per week) seasonal position. Field Instructors are responsible for high quality, professional program delivery in an outdoor setting while maintaining students’ safety and utilizing respectful and positive behavior management techniques when necessary in the field.
Field Instructors will report directly to the MS’ Piedmont Program Director.
- Effectively communicate in both verbal and written communications
- Listen to and comprehend oral communication
- Read written documentation both on paper and on screen
- Be comfortable and work effectively in an outdoor or natural setting
- Work with and have patience for children for up to 8 hours a day
- Hike up to three (3) miles each day on terrain of varying difficulty
- Lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds
- Comfortable making difficult decisions in stressful situations with full knowledge of organizational policy and procedure
- Recognize and respond positively to social cues of children and adults
- Utilize discretion when faced with sensitive issues that could impact individual parties involved in/with MS or the organization as a whole
- Work in a team, perform interactive behaviors, and respect a chain of command
Experience and Attributes: Ideal candidates will be committed to MS’ mission and possess relevant experience and key personal attributes including:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, ideally in a related field
- At least 2-3 years of experience in education, including significant experience in experiential education and teaching
- Strong leadership capabilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic knowledge of the local natural history of the Piedmont region
- Basic map/outdoor navigation skills
- Positive work ethic and attitude
Specific duties include:
- Provide high quality field instruction to 5th grade students
- Ensure exemplary field safety
- Responsible for delivery of the MS curriculum during each expedition while maintaining good time management
- Maintain appropriate behavior and group management in an outdoor classroom
- Arrive at the field site on time and in a professional manner
- Responsible for helping to maintain and organize the field vehicle
- Maintain individual instructor kits keeping materials in good shape and organized
- Coordinate with the Assistant Program Director when resupply items are needed
- Communicate with teaching team via email before the expedition on carpooling and vehicle logistics
- Responsible for submitting pay and mileage logs on time each month
- Complete mid and end-of- season personal evaluation forms
- Submit lead instructor reports following each expedition
- Responsible for attending pre-season training days (3-5) in addition to mid- year staff meetings (2)
- Obtain Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certification
- Enroll in (if not already) the NC Environmental Education Certification program
Education Requirements: Applicants must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, preferably with prior school/professional experience in the field of education and/or another related field.
Term of Position: The Piedmont Field Instructor positions are part time, seasonal positions with a weekly commitment of 2-5 days of work during the busiest times of the year. The 2016-17 season in the Piedmont will run from November-mid May.
Pay: Field Instructors are paid on a per expedition basis. Pay is commensurate with experience depending on the individual’s degree, advanced training, and years of teaching experience. Please email Lindsay Green to obtain a MS’ Field Instructor Application. Resume, cover letter, and Muddy Sneakers application are due no later than 5:00pm EST on October 28. Applications are to be submitted to Expansion Coordinator Lindsay Green at firstname.lastname@example.org or can be mailed to MS’ home office, c/o Lindsay Green at the following mailing address: P.O. Box 146, Brevard, NC 28712.
Muddy Sneakers is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, environmental education organization based in Brevard, North Carolina.
Muddy Sneakers: The Joy of Learning Outside
P.O. Box 146 Brevard, NC 28712
NC Expansion Coordinator: Lindsay Green
How to Apply:
Please email Lindsay Green to obtain a MS’ Field Instructor Application. Resume, cover letter, and Muddy Sneakers application are due no later than 5:00pm EST on October 28. Applications are to be submitted to Expansion Coordinator Lindsay Green at email@example.com or can be mailed to MS’ home office, c/o Lindsay Green at the following mailing address: P.O. Box 146, Brevard, NC 28712.