Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The Program Assistant provides direct support to the Volunteer and Event Coordinator and auxiliary support to the Education Coordinator with the Docent program. He or she will assist in the development of the volunteer program, docent-led tours and walks, production of special events, donor events, programs and private events. Specific responsibilities include managing budgets, scheduling private events, coordinating private and public tours and walks, groups and cart tours, supervising events, managing, scheduling volunteers/volunteer groups, serving on event committees and representing Boyce Thompson Arboretum on-site and off-site for assigned events/projects.
Volunteer Program Duties and Responsibilities:
- Send monthly updates to volunteers via Volgistics mail feature.
- Assist in the creation of volunteer shifts, updating schedules, maintaining the list of volunteer assignments and arranging for scheduling of different departments and activities where volunteers are utilized.
- Complete reports on volunteer hours served monthly.
- Implement and oversee the first volunteer advisory committee.
- Recruit, interview and screen applicants for BTA host volunteer program.
- Update and maintain volunteer records in Volgistics.
Docent Program Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide guided tours on occasion.
- Coordinate training classes for docent programs.
- Coordinate docent service opportunities and monthly docent meetings.
- Build and sustain a docent exchange program with other similar organizations.
- Maintain accurate records of tour offerings and tour registrations.
- Create and sustain relationships and communication with docents.
- Schedule docents for public and private tours.
Event Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an event assistant or supervisor for all BTA special events, private events, meetings and education programs as assigned.
- Plan, organize and staff special events/event series/volunteer only/private events/weddings as assigned.
- Draft and email weekly event/program updates for all staff when appropriate.
- Manage the BTA event request form and follow-up with specific departments to assess the level of event support, necessary equipment/supplies, garden set-up, food & beverage, music and staffing.
- Purchase event supplies as directed by supervisor and/or department head.
- Supervise and orient volunteers during special events.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter, goal-oriented and enthusiastic about working with volunteers and planning events.
- Proficiency with computers and software programs, including MS office suite, Google suite and Volgistics or similar volunteer management software.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Works well alone and as part of a team.
- Able to work flexible hours including nights, holidays and weekends.
- Able to lift 30 pounds, work outside in all weather, walk, stand, and stoop for long periods, especially during events.
- Willing to obtain an Arizona Title 4 Basic Liquor Law Certificate, Arizona Food Handlers Card (valid in Pinal County) and CPR, AED, First Aid, Certified Interpretive Guide Certificate, and acquire a Identity Verified Prints (IVP) upon employment.
- Anticipate project needs, discern work priorities and meet deadlines with little supervision.
- Experience coordinating events, preparing contracts, applying for permits and licenses and working with musicians/vendors.
- Experience managing and recruiting volunteers.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or significant work experience in related fields
- 2+ years of experience in volunteer management and/or event coordination is preferred
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Other duties may be assigned.