Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Program Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The Program Coordinator VISTA will be an essential member of Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful’s (KTMB) team. This person will primarily build and grow KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education program by developing relationships with Washoe County School District administration and teachers, enhancing curriculum, creating a sustainable program structure, and coordinating classroom education presentations.
KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education program targets underserved schools to empower students to problem-solve neighborhood blight and other environmental issues that lower the quality of life, health, and economy in the Truckee Meadows. This VISTA will also support the advancement of a field trip program for underserved elementary/primary grade students to KTMB’s Sensory Garden at Idlewild Park, coordinate KTMB’s partnerships with seasonal camp programs, and enhance programming for adult education and therapeutic programming in KTMB’s Sensory Garden. Finally, this VISTA will provide outreach to the adult community in the Truckee Meadows to increase volunteerism, organizational support, and awareness of our natural resources.
KTMB is a private, 501 (c) (3) nonprofit dedicated to creating a cleaner, more beautiful region through education and active community involvement. For over 25 years, KTMB been dedicated to beautification of the Truckee Meadows, advocacy for a cleaner community and region, massive volunteer cleanup efforts, and education that inspires action.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: March 21, 2017 - March 20, 2018
- Facilitate KTMB’s Education Program, including the Warriors Youth Curriculum and Sensory Garden Field Trip Program;
- Enhance curriculum and standards alignment with Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards;
- Develop and maintain partnerships with school administrators and teachers;
- Strengthen the KTMB’s Sensory Garden field trip program for primary grade students;
- Develop and maintain partnerships with local groups and/or organizations to include KTMB’s Education Program in local seasonal camp and afterschool programs;
- Design and implement opportunities for adult education and therapeutic programming at KTMB’s Sensory Garden;
- Support the volunteer recruitment for and coordination of all major KTMB programs, projects and events.
- Passionate commitment to KTMB’s mission and vision;
- Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental science, or related field;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Experience working with teachers and volunteers;
strong understanding of education standards and experience in curriculum development;
Preferred: experience teaching in formal or informal settings;
Preferred: experience working for environmental education centers, nature centers, and/or summer camps;
Preferred: Reading, writing and speaking competency in the Spanish language.
KTMB’s Program Coordinator VISTA position is funded by the Corporations for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
The Program Coordinator VISTA will work to build and grow KTMB’s Education Program, which is designed to inspire students to be stewards of our community’s air, land, and water through Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful’s (KTMB) Waste Warriors, Weed Warriors and Watershed Warriors educational videos and curriculum. KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education program engages students in STEM-based, hands-on learning activities with the goal of developing stewards for the future, as well as improved academic engagement and better preparation for educational success
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to Celeste Tinajero at Celeste@ktmb.org
Applications are also accepted through AmeriCorps.gov. Search for Warrior Workshops. Deadline for applications is Friday, February 10th.
Visit the KTMB website: ktmb.org or email/call Celeste at 775.851.5185 for more information.
In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance of $980/month, health benefits during their service and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,730.00 or post-service stipend of $1,500.00 after completing their service. A relocation travel allowance of no less than $550 may also apply if they are moving.