Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Program Coordinator (Temporary)
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, September 20, 2020, 2:00pm
Website:Community Nature Connection
Community Nature Connection is recruiting a Program Coordinator to assist in its work increasing access to the outdoors for all L.A. communities impacted by inequitable systems. The Program Coordinator will design, advance, coordinate, and deliver community-centered programming that connects Angelenos to the outdoors through interpretation, environmental education, and training. The Program Coordinator must be able to perform at the level of a Lead Naturalist, however they will assume a higher level of administrative and risk management responsibility. In addition to participants, the Program Coordinator may also supervise, train, coach, and mentor other CNC representatives: interns, Outdoor Leaders, Naturalists, Lead Naturalists, and volunteers.
Work Schedule & Expectations:
This temp to hire position requires a Tuesday - Saturday schedule; must be able to work occasional evenings, overnights, and Sundays. The temp to hire position will work a Wednesday-Saturday schedule at 32 hours a week through December 30th, 2020. Beginning January, the temp to hire position will work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule at 40 hours a week until June 30, 2021. The temp to hire position is set to expire June 30, 2020 but may be extended dependent on funding. The Program Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Programs.
CNC Training Institute Responsibilities
● Coordinate and execute a calendar of training sessions and certification courses;
● Prepare digital communications and marketing materials for Training Institute and individual sessions;
● Manage communication with Trainers; file training agreements; review training materials;
● Managing Zoom as a platform, schedule and lead training practice sessions; host live training sessions;
● Manage Training Institute Website, posting new trainings as confirmed, using Wix Events;
● Manage training registration and transactions using Wix Events;
● Manage participant communication using Wix Events and training@ email;
● Design and manage files for participant and trainer evaluation surveys;
● Manage participant, trainer, and partner inquiries through training@ email account;
● Identify potential new partners, work with ED to determine next steps in relationship-building.
● Coordinate the Cheesebro Restoration program and other assigned programs;
● Ability to perform the roles and responsibilities of the CNC Lead Naturalist;
● Design, develop, deliver, and lead in-person and virtual interpretive programs including but not limited to overnight-camping trips, youth leadership programs, campfires, and other special events;
● Design and implement innovative programming that meets program and funding needs;
● Speak in front of small to large groups of diverse audiences including but not limited to community-based organizations, government entities, the general public, and CNC colleagues;
● Independently supervise, train, mentor, evaluate, and coach CNC Lead Naturalists, Naturalists, Outdoor Leaders, Volunteers, and Interns for success on all programs and job-related training;
● Supervise multiple CNC staff on select programs, including but not limited to risk management and group management practices to ensure the safety of all participants;
● Host the nature center by performing front desk and guest relations tasks such as answering questions from the general public, maintenance of the nature center, processing donation handling, planning and providing guided interpretive tours;
● Update park kiosks with pre-approved relevant program materials when needed;
● Work closely with community partners, government agencies, and/or vendors to coordinate small to large scale events;
● Plan, develop, and implement outreach strategies to increase program participation;
● Directly responsible for documenting and recording accurate records of program data, successes, lessons learned, incidents, injuries, and group behavior;
● Produce needed monthly, quarterly and yearly reports in a timely fashion; Attend CNC team meetings to provide updates on programs;
● Respond to inquiries from the public pertaining to CNC programs with accurate information;
● Represent CNC at meetings, conferences, and other industry-related events in a professional manner and in accordance with CNC’s mission;
●Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships and communication with CNC colleagues, community partners, government agencies, vendors, volunteers, youth, and the public at large;
●Responsible for taking photos of programs and supporting CNC’s social media protocols;
●Provide support as needed on CNC interpretive programs and special events;
●Perform administrative duties in a timely fashion and according to CNC protocol;
● Perform other duties asassigned.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
● Former CNC program participant and/or active alumni member.
● Ability to speak, write, and deliver programs in Spanish, Mandarin, or other high need language.
● Certified in one or more of the following: Interpretive Guide, Certified Interpretive Guide Trainer, Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness First Aid, California Naturalist, or LNT Master Educator.
● Demonstrated experience with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
● Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of Environmental Education.
● Lifeguard certification- pool and/or ocean.
● Experience supervising staff in an informal science setting (outdoors, camps, museums, etc.).
● 3-5 years related experience coordinating projects, programs, or events for non-profit organizations, government agencies, or in the private sector;
● Knowledge and experience in the fields of outdoor education, environmental education and/or parks;
● Experience teaching, facilitating training or interpretive programs, and/or public speaking;
● Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to lead projects from idea to implementation;
● Tech-savvy, experience with social media, design programs, and events management tools;
● Basic design skills;
● Competency in Google Suite;
● Experience managing contracts;
● Hyper-organized, attentive to detail;
● Experience in and/or knowledge of the of the greater Los Angeles area;
● Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds, training, and experience.
● At least 21 years of age.
● Must satisfy minimum requirements of a CNC Lead Naturalist.
● Bachelors, Associates, vocational degree, or significant coursework in related fields including Environmental Science, Life Sciences, or similar field and 2 years experience OR 3+ years’ experience in a similar position
● Background in K-12 education in a classroom or an informal science setting (outdoors, camps, museums, etc.).
● Knowledge and understanding of the Principles of Interpretation;
● Experience with community organizing, engagement, and building relationships.
● Possess a current Pediatric/Child/Adult CPR, First Aid, and AED certification.
● Must be proficient in word processing and using computer software programs for assignments.
● Demonstrated ability to design & deliver outdoor education lesson plans and interpretive outlines.
● An advanced understanding and knowledge of the flora, fauna, ecology, and geology of the Santa Monica Mountains and L.A. area.
● Must be able to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team.
● Ability to self-direct and carry out assignments with little or no supervision;
● Good judgment and decision-making when working with the public and children.
● Experience facilitating group and risk management techniques for groups of various sizes and backgrounds on and off the trail.
● Be a positive member of a community that will work together.
● Ability to adjust to shifting priorities, a growth-mindset, and a commitment to teamwork.
● This position requires both field and office tasks, therefore the applicant must be able to work in sometimes adverse conditions that include rain, heat, insects, etc.
● Flexibility to work occasional evenings, weekends, overnights, and some holidays.
● Must receive Class B License within first 6 months of hiring;
● Ability to pass a background check including fingerprinting.
● Must pass a physical examination including a drug test.
● Flexibility with assignments, especially in regards to geographical assignments in the L.A. area.
● Reliable transportation for travel to various program sites (rideshare and public transportation accepted). Note that not all job sites are accessible via public transportation.
● Must have a valid California Driver's License; occasionally required to drive a work vehicle.
● Reference checks will be conducted.
Position Start Date:
Monday, October 26, 2020
How to Apply:
Please email the following in PDF form: a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com . In the subject line, please write “Program Coordinator Job Application” by 5:00pm on September 20th, 2020. This recruitment is open until further notice and can close at any time.
$18.00-20.00 hourly. Sick time and holiday pay. This is a Temp To Hire position from October 2020 to June 2021.