Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Program Instructor, On-Call
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
On call position: part time, hourly. Public and school program shifts available Tuesday-Friday. Public program shifts available Saturdays and Sundays. Ability to work both weekday and weekend shifts desired.
The EcoTarium, a Museum of Science and Nature, seeks creative and enthusiastic program instructors to assist with and deliver engaging educational programs for the general public and groups. Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and may include school programs in our museum classrooms, interpretation of museum exhibits and digital planetarium, outdoor programs on our 55-acre site, and play facilitation in our Nature Explore Outdoor Exhibit.
Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning. Program Instructors will work closely with the School Programs Coordinator to deliver interpretive programs for school groups of all ages, on subjects including forestry, ecology, and other earth, physical and life science topics. Program Instructors will support Museum Education staff members during classroom based discussion and independently manage small trail groups during field-based explorations of the museum’s ponds, meadows, and wooded trails.
Applicants must have a background in education or science, and enjoy working with children. Experience with inquiry-based approaches to teaching and a customer service orientated attitude are desired.
- Background in education, natural sciences, or related fields
- At least 18 years of age and completed one year of college
- Demonstrated previous experience in inquiry-based and/or experiential teaching desirable
- Enjoy being outdoors and comfortable working outdoors in all weather
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Knowledge of good customer service principles and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, stay stationary for long periods of time, work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests; able to move program equipment and supplies up to 40 lbs desirable
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Actively engage with children
- Assist with program delivery and evaluation, with the opportunity to collaborate with the education team to enhance curriculum
- Utilize hands-on participatory teaching methods
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and meetings
- Conduct programming outdoors in any type of weather
- Uniform/dress code required
- (Specific for School Programs) Set-up and lead school programs with indoor and outdoor components and covering a variety of science topics, including but not limited to environmental science, forestry, animal behavior, and physical science
Non-Essential Functions: Other duties as may be assigned
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Program Instructor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604
or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail) with “Program Instructor Search” in the subject line.
Application Review -- Immediately