Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
School-Year Youth Program Facilitator (2.5 to 7.5 month duration, depending on availability)
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Thursday, March 15, 2018, 12:00am
Position start date: April 2, 2018
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center (TIOBEC) is a charter of Outward Bound USA, the international leader in character development education. Outward Bound Schools all across the world are united behind a central guiding philosophy: through challenge, we learn what we are truly capable of.
At the forefront of integrating character development with academics, TIOBEC uses experiential, place-based learning on an island in the Boston Harbor to inspire leadership, collaboration and resilience in Boston’s young people; TIOBEC provides opportunities for young people to overcome challenges in a unique environment, allowing them to leave with a newfound confidence in their own abilities to face difficulties in their lives back at home.
Who is the ideal staff member?
We are looking for staff to join a diverse community of individuals who are passionate about making a difference in the lives of Boston’s Youth. Our staff are committed to Outward Bound’s philosophy of promoting growth and learning through challenge.
Youth Program Facilitators work with Boston youth to provide hands-on learning opportunities designed to promote character development and academic achievement. Working primarily with students from the Boston Public Schools, but also local universities and youth groups, Facilitators run courses Monday-Friday, lasting in length from one day to three days, with overnights. Some specific responsibilities include:
- Lead youth through an intentional sequence of games, initiatives and high and low challenge course elements.
- Promote leadership development, teamwork and effective communication through group processing and reflection.
- Teach Field-based science lessons in the outdoors, designed to align with Boston Public School science curriculum.
- Mentor, coach and support young people, while inspiring an interest in STEM education.
Employment Details for all positions:
- Housing is provided if needed. You may choose to live in the island's dormitory for the season, or you may commute to and from Boston via a twice-daily ferry. Thompson Island is located about 4 miles from Boston.
- Thompson Island employees must be at least 21 years old.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position to Staffing@thompsonisland.org. We look forward to hearing from you!