Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Seasonal Interpretive Naturalist
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, May 22, 2022, 11:00pm
Website:Chippewa Nature Center
Position Available: Seasonal Interpretive Naturalist
Full time, temporary
Application deadline: Open until filled
Spend your summer cruising the Chippewa River in a kayak, hiking the trails at sunset, searching the pond for frogs, and helping people build a deeper connection with the natural world. Whether you’re working with a group of visiting youth, delivering a program at the local senior center, or searching out herons and turtles along the river, your days will be filled fun and adventure.
Job Summary: Join a team of passionate, professional naturalists who seek to help people make meaningful connections with the natural world. Through kayak trips, hikes, drop-in programs, events, and more, CNC naturalists welcome people of all ages to connect with nature through hands-on, engaging experiences.
Objective: To provide high quality natural and cultural history programs to visitors at CNC as well as during outreach programs in the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and deliver public programs and experiences focusing on natural and/or cultural history topics for audiences of all ages including recreation-based programs such as kayaking.
- Teach and assist with some camp, scout, and other youth-specific programs.
- Assist with development and maintenance of a wide variety of self-guided interpretive resources.
- Serve as the naturalist on duty in rotation with other program staff.
- Assist with the care of live reptiles and amphibians.
- Be an engaged member of the CNC team, attending staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree or experience in environmental education, interpretation, outdoor recreation or related field
- Proficiency in outdoor recreation skills related to environmental interpretation (canoeing, kayaking, hiking)
- Experience working with children in a group setting
- Ability to communicate with visitors of all ages
- Knowledge of basic interpretive/teaching techniques
- Knowledge of natural and/or cultural history
- Certification in Project Wet, Project Wild and similar programs is encouraged
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position (i.e., hike over rugged terrain and lift 50 pounds)
- Ability to work varied hours, including weekends, evenings and holidays (schedule will be tentatively set at the beginning of the season)
- Certification in CPR and basic first aid (or ability to become certified)
Status: Full time, temporary
Reports to: Michelle Fournier, School and Public Program Director
Schedule: 40 hours/week with weekend and evening commitments, schedule will be set at the beginning of the season.
Start Date: Flexible; May 23, 2022
End Date: August 26, 2022
Compensation & Benefits: Starting at $12/hr; staff uniform, CNC membership, 20% discount in Nature Center Store, 10% discount on registered program member fee
Application procedure: Send cover letter and resume to Jenn Kirts, Director of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,500-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with a River Overlook, Ecosystem Gallery, Wildlife Viewing Area and more; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and 19 miles of trails. Visit www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to Jenn Kirts, Director of Programs at email@example.com or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640