Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Mountain Air’s Natural Resources team is looking for one Seasonal Naturalist to help create remarkable, personalized nature experiences for the Mountain Air community through October 2022. Summer and part-time schedules will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Mountain Air's nature program is an amenity of their Country Club. The Resident and Seasonal Naturalist positions are interpretive outdoor education jobs with a strong emphasis on local Appalachian flora and fauna.
Additional responsibilities include wildlife management, citizen science coordination, risk management, extensive hiking, and general outdoor recreation. Program topics vary and include (but are not limited to) nature discovery walks, Jr. Naturalist summer camp, teen adventure camp, astronomy, geocaching, wildflower walks, mushroom walks, pollinator-plant programs, and picnic hikes on nearby destination mountains. Naturalists also take shifts staffing the Outdoor Discovery Center.
The 40hr/week schedule parallels seasonal vacation activity; when other people play, we work. Since we get to work outdoors in a beautiful place, it balances out! The schedule includes weekends and holidays through October and several evenings per month. A part-time schedule may be considered, depending on the applicant pool.
- Service-oriented, engaging "people person"
- Nature enthusiast with solid Appalachian flora & fauna knowledge
- Can hike at least 3 miles on rough trails
- Is comfortable working in a country club/resort environment
- Is comfortable when handling reptiles (resident corn snake and 2 turtles)
- Possesses a valid driver's license, clean driving record, and has reliable transportation
WORK EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, environmental studies, wildlife management, or related natural science field is preferred but not required.
- Professional outdoor or environmental education experience along with progress toward a 4-year degree or an associate degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- An understanding of high service standards in a hospitality setting and the ability to meet these standards is critical.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and application ASAP through Mountain Air's employment webpage:
Applications will be followed by a phone conversation and an on-site interview. The position is open until filled.
(828) 682-4826 x54