Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Specialty Day Camp Head Counselor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Keystone Science School Mission:
Keystone Science School educates youth and adults to broaden perspectives and foster appreciation for engaged citizenship. We accomplish this through meaningful and collaborative learning experiences in the natural mountain environment that incorporate non-biased scientific inquiry, leadership development, civic engagement and academic rigor.
The employees of Keystone Science School collectively work for the Mission, and truly live the Vision and Values! We offer competitive health and welfare benefits, and employee housing (based on the position offered). Our campus is located at 9,200 feet on the site of Old Keystone Village in Keystone, Colorado. Our historic 23-acre campus serves as the ultimate outdoor laboratory and is the home base for our diverse suite of programs. Our facilities include modern log-style dormitories, a central dining hall, an outdoor amphitheater, a state-of-the-art observatory and geothermal field. Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary:
The Specialty Day Camp Head Counselor works with our Specialty Day Camp programs. A Specialty Day Camp Head Counselor is the primary caregiver for each camper and is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills. You are the spirit of the Summer of Imagination! Your fellow counselors will rely on you, Counselor Assistants will follow your lead, children will look up to you and parents will trust you. Your fresh energy, ideas, consistent supervision, patience and commitment to the camp community will make this summer one of our best.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage quality of Specialty Day Camp programs during the entire summer season. This includes, but not limited to: implementation of program logistics, delegation, supervision, training and evaluation;
- Responsible for the current vision, feel, and tradition of Splash Camp, Splash Monkey, and Spider Monkey;
- Administer weekly schedules, twitter and Instagram updates for Day Camp parents to keep them well informed;
- Gather Specialty Day Camp Campership materials (photos, thank you letters) each session;
- Supervise campers during all 9 Day Camp overnights throughout the summer;
- Supervise, mentor and inspire each weekly Day Camp Team;
- Support and lead Day Camp trainings and meetings;
- Work two evenings each week; Day Camp Overnight, Discovery Camp Support, or time to prepare;
- Supervise up to 13 campers of mixed genders each day;
- Plan, prepare, and teach the grade appropriate curriculum for scheduled Day Camp sessions;
- Plan and implement camper choice activities;
- Supervise campers during all 8 Day Camp overnights throughout the summer;
- Attend each Day Camp session’s Thursday “Family Night”;
- Gather and submit pictures and videos of the campers experience;
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff;
- Complete and submit an overall program evaluation for the summer before your departure;
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum requirements in knowledge, skills, and abilities for the candidate of our choice:
- Additionally, we require and expect this person to be disciplined in thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence;
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form;
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Superior customer service skills with the ability to be creative and think ‘outside the box’;
- Strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
- Write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals with attention to detail;
- Ability to create, manage, and maintain a budget utilizing Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks;
- Ability to track information and manage high volume of data such as contacts, prospective donors, and participating teachers.
- If over 21 years of age, you will be required to participate and pass a driver’s training session. You will be required to drive a 15-passenger van
- Abide by and uphold the policies and procedures set forth by the Keystone Science School.
In addition to the above-required talents, our ideal candidate will have these preferred skillsets:
- Desired computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Quickbooks, and Adobe;
- Comprehension of the Spanish language via written and/or verbal form.
Our travel expectations:
There will be no travel outside the state, but a lot in Colorado and around Summit County.
Our required experience, and certifications:
- At least 3 months of verifiable experience with school-aged children;
- Current CPR and Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certifications (you will be required to provide copies of these certifications prior to your arrival);
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
The physical demands of this position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must be able to lift and carry at least 40 pounds for an extended duration. The employee is occasionally required to travel for extended periods over rugged terrain. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Our work environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with his/her teammates. The office space is small and the employee must have the ability to stay focused while others are working in close proximity. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus.
How to Apply:
Want to find yourself at the heart of Science. Adventure. Fun? Apply now!
Please submit the Employment Application found on the Keystone Science School Employment Page. In your cover letter, please include desired salary, and attach resume. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled.
Keystone Science School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.