Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Spring Program Instructor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The employees of Keystone Science School collectively work for the Mission, and truly live the Vision and Values! We offer competitive health and welfare benefits, and employee housing (based on the position offered). Our campus is located at 9,200 feet on the site of Old Keystone Village in Keystone, Colorado. Our historic 23-acre campus serves as the ultimate outdoor laboratory and is the home base for our diverse suite of programs. Our facilities include modern log-style dormitories, a central dining hall, an outdoor amphitheater, a state-of-the-art observatory and geothermal field. Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary:
KSS large group facilitator offers a range of programs that provide a balance of hands-on science activities, field-based exploration, and adventure all based upon themes including aquatic ecology, forest ecology, earth science, snow science, health, and nutrition. Programs can be hosted on the KSS campus, at a school location, or at a camping-based location for a duration of one day to seven days.
The Seasonal Program Instructor is a seasonal teaching position responsible for teaching the wide variety of curricula options offered by KSS. Program Instructors are responsible for lesson planning daily lessons along with developing curriculum for incoming schools on a rotating basis. Program Instructors are also responsible for the facilitation of meals, evening programs, and the completion of manual labor tasks on a rotating basis. It is the responsibility of Program Instructors to facilitate programs within the other program areas of KSS.
Our ideal candidate will focus on the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- 60% Teaching (includes Lead Instructor Duties)
- 15 % Lesson Planning and Curriculum Development
- 15% Support Staff Duties (e.g. facilitation of meals, evening programs, and completion of manual labor tasks)
- 10% Long Term Projects (chosen individually by each instructor in collaboration with the School Programs leadership team.)
Other duties as assigned.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The minimum requirements in knowledge, skills, and abilities for the candidate of our choice:
- Must possess an intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action;
- Additionally, we require and expect this person to be disciplined in thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence;
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form;
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Superior customer service skills with the ability to be creative and think ‘outside the box’;
- Strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
- Write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals with attention to detail;
- Program Instructor Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven ability to creatively develop science and education curricula and lesson plans;
- Ability to adapt instruction and lessons to meet a wide variety of learners and schools utilizing different educational philosophies;
- Ability to be creative, adaptable, and flexible while managing students in a variety of situations;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals and educational methods;
- Motivated to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community.
In addition to the above required talents, our ideal candidate will have these preferred skillsets:
- Spanish language skills;
- Our travel expectations:
- Limited travel throughout the state of Colorado.
Our required education, experience, and certifications:
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching students in an outdoor setting;
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification upon start date;
- Experience with risk management practices of the outdoor and environmental education industry;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands of this position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear; the employee frequently is required to sit. On occasion, the employee may be required to use hand and/or power tools, but only after receiving appropriate training and approval from the KSS repair technician. The employee is often required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to teach students in an outdoor environment throughout the entire year hiking, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing carrying a backpack weighing up to 40 pounds.
Our work environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works outside in various weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply:
Provide the following documents through the KSS Online Application (visit the Employment Page at www.KeystoneScienceSchool.org). Positions are open until filled. No calls, please.
Complete KSS Online Application (can be found by following the link and instructions above);
Cover Letter addressing your philosophy of education and describing how your previous experiences prepared you for the position;
*****POSITIONS ARE OPEN UNTIL FILLED*****
Keystone Science School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
KSS School Programs has a compensation policy which starts instructors at approximately $1,387/month. Room and Board is also available with a deduction of $200 per month for each employee wishing to live on campus.