Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Science Adventure School Webpage
The Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night outdoor science program that is serving 6th grade students in West Virginia. Our goal is to integrate high quality, engaging, adventure sports-driven science and environmental curriculum with experiential education and student development. The STEM Instructors will play a crucial role in meeting that goal by delivering “Science Behind the Sport” educational lessons that relate fundamental principles of STEM to adventure sports.
Responsibilities and Duties:
STEM Instructors will be expected to:
- Deliver innovative Science Behind the Sport educational curriculum and hands-on activities placing special emphasis on the practical application of STEM.
- Engage students in a variety of educational and adventure-based experiences including but not limited) to: climbing, zip lining, paddling, cycling, archery, and skateboarding.
- Manage classroom procedures and student behavior to establish an environment of group learning
- Work independently with up to 24, 6th grade students, four field staff, and two teachers.
- Manage time, risk, and travel around the site and perform any other duty or assistance to field staff, students, and teachers to insure success of the program.
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional language, appearance, and behavior, willingness to take initiative.
- Spend Tuesdays with a pair of Outdoor Education Guides and their group facilitating experiential education activities.
- Assist with other camp duties as needed.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Post-Secondary Education or Certifications (i.e., college degree or teaching certification) and/or equivalent contemporary knowledge in STEM
- Ability to pass a federal background check
- Friendly personality with the ability to connect and communicate effectively with youth.
- Be comfortable living and working in an outdoor setting that requires moderate physical activity
- Excellent organizational skills and effective problem-solving skills
- Passion for science, education, and creative thinking
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- Prior experience working with youth (ages 10-14)
- Experience/familiarity with rock climbing, archery, cycling, zip lining, paddling, and other outdoor activities
- Knowledge of pedagogy and modern teaching strategies
The Science Adventure School will begin staff training in early August. We expect that you will be available to work with us through the beginning of November with minimal time off throughout that time, except for a mandatory week off near the middle of the programming season. Staff will be expected to work Monday-Friday with weekends off. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will be “on-duty” nights where staff are expected to remain on-site at camp to assist with evening programming. Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be working long days with students Tuesday morning through Friday afternoon. Hours vary, but while students are on-site, days frequently start around 7:00AM and end around 10:00PM.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in working for SAS, you can fill out our application form on our website: https://scienceadventureschool.wvu.edu/get-involved/jobs/stem-instructor
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive per diem starting at $100/day and up to $160/day
- Additional pay will be allotted as per SAS pay matrix with increases for education, experience, and/or relevant certifications.
- Lodging in the form of platform/canvas tents (Summit Bechtel Reserve), yurts/cabins (Outdoor Education Center & Jackson's Mill) will be provided for the duration of contract (including weekends and off-days). In some locations, tents will be shared by two staff members.
- Staff will have access to the dining hall for all meals M-F, and accommodations for food preparations will be available on weekends.
- All professional training will be paid and provided for free.
- Showers and internet will be available on site at no cost.