Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Summer Adventure Instructor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, March 3, 2017, 5:00pm
About AMC’s Youth Opportunities Program
Each year, the AMC’s Youth Opportunities Program (YOP) makes the outdoors accessible to over 35,000 youth from urban, lower income communities throughout the Northeast. We accomplish this by providing training and support to hundreds of youth workers and teachers that independently lead their groups of youth into the outdoors. YOP’s continuum of services includes outdoor leadership training, free equipment loans, trip planning assistance, reduced lodging rates at AMC destinations, professional development, and youth adventures. This unique model enables our YOP-trained partners to use the outdoors to meet their youth development goals. For more information about our program, visit www.outdoors.org/yop.
About Youth Mountain Adventure Program (YMAP)
YMAP is an initiative of YOP for youth organizations located in the Greater Boston area. The project mission is to promote positive youth development by exposing youth ages 11-18 to the wonders of the outdoors on multi-day wilderness adventures. These 4-day excursions are provided free of cost, including transportation. Trip activities include hiking, camping, backpacking, and canoeing at AMC’s Cardigan Reservation in New Hampshire. YMAP trips are a chance for YOP groups to participate in longer, more challenging trips that may not be possible for individual agencies to lead independently.
This position represents a great opportunity to learn and implement outdoor leadership curriculum and work closely with Boston area youth agencies, while experiencing the outdoors!
The YMAP Summer Adventure Instructor is responsible for the planning, logistics and co-leading of eight 4-day YMAP excursions with YOP Members and their organization’s youth. Instructors are responsible for some administrative tasks including trip planning, conducting pre-trip meetings, providing support for YOP’s equipment room, completing trip reports and debriefs. Adventure Instructors also gain exposure to future employment opportunities at the Appalachian Mountain Club. This position reports to the YOP Youth Programming Manager.
- Lead groups of 8-10 urban youth (ages 11 to 18) on a variety of outdoor adventure activities with a co-leader from the participating youth agency. Trips include a series of four-day camping, hiking, canoeing and swimming experiences, as well as day trips.
- Clean and maintain trip equipment, including tents, stoves, sleeping bags, clothing, and cooking gear.
- Teach leadership, communication, team building and challenge initiatives, basic outdoor skills, and Leave No Trace ethics, all with safety as a top priority.
- Plan and organize food, gear and other programmatic needs for each week.
- Assist YOP members with completion of the YMAP trip itinerary and curriculum development.
- Complete post-trip reporting responsibilities including trip summaries, statistics, and organizing paperwork and photographs. Provide recommendations for program improvement.
- Assist in completing a funder report at the end of the season by compiling photos, recording quotes, stories and crafting narratives for each trip as well as analyzing group demographics.
- Conduct participant pick-up/drop-off from the Boston area with a 12-passenger van.
- Mandatory participation in YOP’s 5-day Outdoor Leadership Training (OLT) in May or June.
- Dedication to YOP’s mission to make the outdoors accessible to all.
- Dedication to working with people representing a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Experience and interest in working with youth from urban and low income communities.
- Experience leading groups of youth on day and multi-day outdoor trips.
- Ability to build rapport with co-leaders and youth and work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent group management and facilitation skills. Ability to lead meaningful and effective group games and activities.
- Excellent logistical and organizational skills for outdoor program planning and implementation.
- Outdoor leadership skills including backpacking, hiking, camping and canoeing.
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR (Can be obtained upon hire).
- Ability to drive 12-passenger van safely and possession of a clear personal driving history. (Must hold valid driver’s license and be able to pass a DOT medical exam.)
- Willingness to hike and camp in mountain terrain carrying a 40-50 pound pack, in all weather conditions.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and willingness to learn Efforts to Outcomes Database.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings, including Tuesday through Friday for eight weeks in July and August.
To Apply: Please submit resume, cover letter with your application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until March 3, 2017. A hiring decision will be made no later than April 3, 2017. No phone calls, please. Applicants must be available from June until September and able to work at AMC’s Boston Headquarters.
Seasonal Benefits of working with the AMC: Here is a list that highlights benefits offered for our seasonal employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
Employee discounts on all AMC merchandise
Use of AMC destinations and lodges , free and discounted rates
Pro-deals with major gear distributors.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!