Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Summer Camp Counselor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Dunes Learning Center (DLC) is a residential education facility within Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (INDU) that works in close partnership with the National Park Service (NPS). Summer Camp Counselors are members of the program staff at the DLC. They supervise summer camp residents while developing their outdoor education and resource interpretation skills and techniques. Summer Camp Counselors are an integral part of the program, being positive role models for our campers. Specific duties include overnight supervision of campers in cabins, leading evening activities (campfires, group games, night hikes, etc.), leading meal and flag raising activities, and hosting a tent camp out with campers. Summer Camp Counselors also have the opportunity for professional development by shadowing NPS staff and Dunes Learning Center Naturalists.
Term of Internship: Summer, June 5, 2017 – August 4, 2017 (2 weeks of training and 7 weeks of camp). Involves evening hours and special weekend events.
- The individual is expected to:
- Attend training workshops and regularly scheduled staff meetings
- Supervise and be responsible for up to 8 children overnight in cabins on DLC campus
- Lead evening activities and other DLC summer camp programs for children; ages 8-17
- Conduct research and make preparations needed for all assigned educational programs
- Ensure safety and well-being of program participants
- Assist in the maintenance of all program supplies, equipment, and facilities
- Maintain a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA)
- Comply with all Dunes Learning Center policies and represent DLC in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform all assigned duties critical to the operation of Dunes Learning Center
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Currently enrolled in an Associate or BA/BS academic program
- Enthusiastic about working with children in an outdoor setting
- Great independent worker and team player
- Official government identification
- Physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and hike several miles over hilly dunes terrain while carrying a 25-lb backpack
- Prior experience in outdoor education, residential camp setting, nature centers, or day camps All Dunes Learning Center employees must submit to a background check and possible drug screening.
Position Start Date:
Monday, June 5, 2017
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.duneslearningcenter.org/employment
Benefits: $290 weekly stipend (average 40 hours per week), housing in cabins shared with summer camp residents on the DLC campus, uniforms, First Aid/CPR training, meals and weekly s’mores when groups are in residence, and professional development opportunities.