Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Summer Camp Counselor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, May 22, 2017, 6:00pm
- MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE
- be a positive role model
- risk management skills
- exhibit strong leadership and communication skills
- demonstrate maturity and a willingness to contribute
- share passion for the outdoors
- cooperate well with others (such as other employees)
- demonstrate patience with children and peers
- have experience working with children
- enjoy working with kids ages 8-17
- accept direction from supervisors and receive constructive criticism
- display an understanding of environmental systems
- be flexible with scheduling
- be able to maintain a positive attitude even after long stretches of work
Additional desired qualifications include:
- ability to speak Spanish
- wilderness medical certifications (WAFA, WFR, etc,)
- backpacking experience
- backcountry cooking experience
- archery instruction certification
- lifeguard certification
- first aid and CPR certification
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- implementing good risk management strategies
- encouraging participation from campers in all aspects of camp life
- leading games and other activities
- supervising of meal set-up/break-down
- connecting with struggling or homesick campers
- helping facilitate arrival and departure of campers
- supervising children during structured activities as well as unstructured “free time”
- sleeping in a cabin with up to 9 campers
- upholding Cal-Wood rules & regulations, and follow Cal-Wood’s policies & procedures
- responding appropriately to emergencies if necessary
Pay will start at a base rate of $800 per month with potential increases depending on prior experience. In addition to monetary compensation, you will be provided with all meals (excluding days off) as well as lodging throughout the entire summer. FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS: Airfare to and from Denver International Airport included as a part of compensation. We will also be providing staff with first aid and CPR certifications for those who do not already have them. You will also receive access to certain outdoor pro-deals such as chacos, smartwool, outdoor prolink, prana, and more!
Training will begin May 30 and the summer will run through July 30th. You will be expected to commit to the full summer with at least 1 day off every week. This is a time-demanding job working 24/7 much of the time.
How to Apply:
Stage 1: Please submit an up to date resume and a cover letter to email@example.com explaining why you would be a good fit as a Cal-Wood counselor.
Stage 2: Once resumes have been reviewed, you MAY be contacted to fill out an additional application and provide 3 references.
Stage 3: Once applications have been reviewed, you MAY be contacted again to schedule an interview.
Questions can be directed to the Summer Camp Director, Marni Brown, at firstname.lastname@example.org.