Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Summer Camp Instructors
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Bay Area Discovery Museum
The Bay Area Discovery Museum’s creative summer camp programs emphasize participatory, interactive learning for children 4-10 years of age and Junior Counselors 9-15 years of age. Topics include art, natural science, performance, carpentry and others.
We are currently hiring for Summer Camp Instructors and Lead Instructors to plan and implement camp curricula and facilitate camp programs. Camps run Monday through Friday from May 25th to August 25th, 2017. Employment shifts vary by position. All summer camp positions are part-time and non-exempt reporting to the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager. These seasonal positions are not eligible for employee benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Care for, supervise, and ensure the safety of campers during the camp day
- Serve as an appropriate and positive role model for all campers, caregivers and the general public
- Maintain a fun, positive, and friendly environment for all campers and staff
- Work cooperatively to maintain open lines of communication with parents, participants, supervisors and co-workers
- Care for museum supplies, equipment and facilities
- Clean and organize classrooms
- Attend all leadership, development and staff training sessions
- Other duties as required by the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager
For Lead Instructors:
- All duties listed above, plus those listed below.
- Manage camp group’s drop-off, pick-up, and parent communication process daily
- Evaluate and adapt camp curriculum to provide developmentally appropriate activities
- Provide leadership in the classroom for all Instructors, Interns, and Junior Counselors
- Mentor Junior Counselors seeking leadership opportunities and support them in setting and achieving goals.
- Develop and send weekly email updates to parents
SKILL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience working in an informal education, summer camp, or early childhood education setting
- Experience designing, planning, or leading activities for young children required for Lead Instructors
- Strong interest in early childhood education or child development
- Behavior and/or classroom management experience required for Lead Instructors
- Superior customer service standards
- Ability to work flexibly within a team and to take direction
- Ability to take initiative to work independently
- Mature and hard-working attitude
- Formal training in Education, Early Childhood Education, Child Development or a related field desirable. Lead Instructor position requires a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in one of the fields listed above.
- Availability for all camp sessions, May 25th - August 25th 2017
Our mission: To ignite and advance creative thinking for all children.
In our one-of-a-kind location at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge on 7.5 acres of National Park land, the Bay Area Discovery Museum facilitates child-directed, open-ended, inquiry-driven learning through hands-on exhibitions, rich activities and risk- friendly challenges designed to ignite creativity, as well as STEM skills and critical thinking.
Additionally, the Museum’s research and advisory division, the Center for Childhood Creativity (CCC), is working at a national scale to advance the research that informs our understanding of childhood creativity, advocate for its critical importance and inspire the next generation of innovators, thought leaders and problem-solvers.
WHAT WE OFFER:
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. In addition to competitive salaries and benefits, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 Museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the Museum’s Center for Childhood Creativity (CCC).
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Position Start Date:
Thursday, May 25, 2017
How to Apply:
To view more information on each available position and apply for employment, please visit:
Applicants should be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter. Please attach your cover letter in step 2 of the online application process when prompted to attach other documents.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.
Based on experience