Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Summer Nature Day Camp Lead Environmental Educators (Carkeek Park)
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, June 26, 2017, 1:30pm
The Carkeek Park Environmental Learning Center is recruiting for an enthusiastic and engaging Summer Nature Day Camp Lead Environmental Educators to join their team this summer.
This popular park offers extraordinary views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. Explore the secrets of this northwest Seattle watershed, nine miles from downtown. Here 220 acres of lush forest, meadows, wetlands, creeks, and beach are formed by the magic of water and time.
Carkeek Park runs a popular summer nature day camp, with weekly themes such as Eyes to the Sky, Wet and Squigly Tipepool Wonder, Furs Tails Tracks and Trails, Tipepools- Window to Puget Sound, Survivor’s Island, Buggin’ Out, Carkeek’s Incredible Time Machine, and Survivor Island.
Summer Day Camp Schedule:
- June 27, 2017 – August 25, 2017
- Monday – Friday, 35-40 hours per week
- Available shifts will be 7 to 8 hours per day between 8:00am - 5:00 pm (subject to change based on business need)
- Mandatory pre-camp training will be offered in June
- Provide program supervision and management, and mentoring of staff when Nature Day Camp Director is not on site
- Assist Director in providing a safe environment by maintaining orderly, clean, and appealing facilities; competent in emergency preparedness; removing known safety hazards; ensuring staff with current CPR/First Aid certification and any other required or applicable credentials
- Guiding children ages 6-12 in hands-on, environmental education activities
- Working closely with the Environmental Education team to plan and implement programs and activities
- Guide 8-10 children, ages 6-12, by yourself as they explore all areas of the park
- Regularly team teach with 1-2 other staff members and direct games and activities (including songs and art projects) for 20-30 campers
- Serve as a positive role model for campers and use positive behavior guidance strategies
- Work outdoors and keep high energy and engagement while exploring Carkeek Park for long periods of time
- Supervise, evaluate, and act as a positive role model for the Jr. Naturalist volunteers, ages 13-16
- Be flexible, flexible, flexible
- At least 3+ years of experience working with children, preferably in an outdoor setting
- 2 years of college level education, preferably with course work in the natural sciences and/or education
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; cooperative leadership
- Knowledge of Pacific Northwest plants, animals, and ecosystems
- Knowledge of child development and teaching methods
- Ability to develop creative lesson plans is preferred
- Valid WA driver’s license and First Aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain
- Commitment to work full summer program
- Smiling team player
- Must pass criminal background check
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US and valid government issued ID
- Must sign up for direct deposit with either checking or savings account or Payroll Paycard
This is a summer only, non-benefited position.
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit our website at: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ASSOCIATED_RECREATION_COUNCIL&cws=1&...
Who May Apply:
This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. ARC is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer and values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ARC encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Accommodations for people with disabilities are provided upon request. Please call (206) 615-0110 to request accommodations.
Position opened until filled. Applications are reviewed as soon as it is received.