Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Summer Safari Day Camp Teachers
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, February 24, 2017, 5:00pm
Job Summary: Friends of the National Zoo is seeking experienced teachers to instruct elementary and middle school-aged children in week-long summer camps at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. Applicants must have knowledge of natural sciences, love and appreciation for wildlife, and experience teaching children. Teachers are required to be onsite at the Zoo during the weeks they work Monday—Friday, 7:45am--3:30pm. There will be a brief weekly staff meeting on Tuesday afternoons that may require teachers staying beyond 3:30pm.
There are two mandatory training dates for new teachers: Saturday, May 7 and Saturday, May 20. Accepted applicants must attend both mandatory dates in order to teach at Summer Safari Day Camp.
Duties and Responsibilities: Summer Safari Day Camp Teachers manage all aspects of each camp to which they are assigned. The responsibilities of this position will include:
- Lead full-day week-long camp(s).
- Develop detailed, daily lesson plans and submit for review at least two weeks prior to camp start date.
- Provide varied, educational, hands-on experiences to campers utilizing Zoo resources.
- Lead daily Zoo walks.
- Supervise campers and class aides at all times.
- Delegate tasks to teenaged class aides and give them a positive volunteer experience.
- Keep all classrooms neat and organized.
- Attend both mandatory training sessions (May 7 and May 20).
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree
- Background in education or environmental and wildlife topics preferred.
- Experience teaching elementary-school children.
Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong curriculum and lesson development skills.
- Confident classroom management.
- Ability to supervise children effectively in a public space.
- Ability to work with and mentor teen volunteers effectively.
- Organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Team player.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining the Safari Day Camp team, first contact Molly Luby at email@example.com for a contract bid packet. Then submit the completed Request for Quote along with a cover letter and resume.
Teachers will be paid $850 for a five day work week and $680 for a four day work week.