Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Sustainable Agriculture & Environmental Day Camp Counselor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, April 30, 2018, 4:45pm
Site Description: The camp is located on a 285-acre sustainable organic dairy farm in Albion, Maine. Site includes historic barn, out buildings for chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and a free stall barn which is home to 130 dairy cows. Scenic pastures, organic gardens and orchard, ponds, wetlands, forest, and farm provide an idea camp setting to explore.
- Responsible for all aspects of camp life: classroom preparation, participating in morning circle; running animal, craft, and gardening activities; overseeing snack and lunch time. Day starts at 7:00 am with set up. Ends around 5:00 pm or when prep work finished for the next day. One overnight outing with campers attending Farm Extravaganza and Farm Explorer.
- Plan and co-lead daily “hands-on”, inquiry based programs. Topics include but not limited to animal care and feeding, gardening, sustainability, cheese making, insects, birds, soil science, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories. Attend staff trainings and meetings.
- Participate in 1 family programs & school field trips Communicating behavior or medical issues to the Camp Director.
- Educators supported by Camp Director and Counselors-in-Training. Educators will report to director.
- Creative, enthusiastic, team player, flexible, excellent communication skills, a good sense of humor, self-motivated and strong work ethic.
- A willingness to get dirty, hike, work with farm animals and dig in the garden
- Knowledge in sustainable farming / gardening and/or environment education (strengths can be in one or the other – animal husbandry a bonus)
- Previous camp or related experience working with youth ages 5-16 in an outdoor setting
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Completed 1st year of college or alternative program / experience
Compensation: $330 /wk ($3630 for season) plus room & board (additional pay based on education and experience)
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to Linda Hartkopf, Director, Hart-to-Hart Farm & Education Center, 16 Duck Pond Land, Albion, ME 04910 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.