Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Teen Program Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 10:00am
Wildwood, located in Rindge, NH home to Mass Audubon’s only overnight summer camp program, seeks an experienced camp professional to take the lead on our teen summer camp and year round programs and act as the high- and low-ropes challenge course manager. This position develops and supervises educational programs for teens at Wildwood for overnight summer camp and year-round programs and is responsible for the hiring, training, and supervision of seasonal program staff. In addition, the coordinator ensures that those programs are in accordance with Mass Audubon’s goals and objectives and ensures those programs meet or exceed Mass Audubon, state of New Hampshire and American Camp Association (ACA) standards. This position requires residence at the camp in Rindge, NH and is responsible for performing property caretaking duties including snow plowing and litter removal outside of the camp season and serves as a resource to enhance the security and upkeep of the property, the security of staff and visitors; and the facilitation emergency response outside of regular business hours.
- Take a leadership role in developing teen camp programs for the Wildwood summer program; including lesson plans for Leaders-In-Training, Junior Counselor, and Teen Adventure Trip programs.
- Ensure that teen programs (LIT, JC, and Treks) meet or exceed Mass Audubon, State of NH and ACA standards, and maintain compliance documentation needed to continue Wildwood’s state licensing and ACA accreditation.
- Assist in developing and/or reviewing staff training materials and staff manual prior to the start of the camp season.
- Assist with the planning and facilitation of training, ongoing supervision, and evaluation of seasonal Wildwood staff.
- Develop teen program activity and staffing schedules, placing a focus on creating an engaging and diverse selection of activities, utilizing the strengths of the Wildwood Camp property and the seasonal staff.
- Oversee safety and security during nighttime and overnight education programming.
- Enforce property rules and regulations outside of staffed/business hours.
- Act as Camp Director on Duty when assigned and provide routine communication with Sanctuary Director on overnight security or management concerns.
- Develop teen programs and activities for camp, events, and other educational related activities.
- Serve as a resource on natural history, environmental policy, and conservation science issues for visitors, members, other staff, and volunteers.
- Maintain updated curricula, instructional materials, educational supplies, and resources.
- Maintain the safety of all participants and staff as a priority.
Wildwood Camper and Staff Recruitment
- Attend Mass Audubon sanctuary info sessions, camp fairs, hiring fairs, and other promotional events to assist with camper and staff recruitment. Sometimes requires evening and/or weekend hours.
- Assist with spring open house weekend events at Wildwood and participate in other promotional events as needed.
- Recruit and hire seasonal Wildwood teen program staff for the Leaders-In-Training, Junior Counselor, and Teen Adventure Trip programs according to all Wildwood and Mass Audubon hiring procedures.
- Provide content for Wildwood marketing including the e-newsletter and social media as needed.
Wildwood Camp Challenge Course Program Facilitation
- Refine Wildwood Ropes Course operating procedures, ensuring they are following ACA, ACCT, and other relevant challenge course guidelines
- Provide challenge course training to seasonal Wildwood staff
- Verify skills and provide ongoing training to challenge course staff
- Oversee challenge course programs, ensuring staff are following Wildwood challenge course procedures
- Work with challenge course staff to ensure all course equipment is in proper working and safe condition
- Attend staff meetings and actively participate in statewide camp meetings, education staff meetings, education work groups, and professional development trainings, as required.
- Utilize Wildwood equipment to plow snow, ensuring that staff are able to access the office during business hours.
- Provide routine upkeep of the Wildwood property including security walks and litter removal.
- Provide first response at any time to emergencies and disasters on the premises, security, and response to wildlife related problems, and serve on an ongoing and regular basis as Mass Audubon's representative with neighbors.
- Assist property staff with grounds, property, and building maintenance, and special projects.
- Maintain applicable files and records pertaining to all aspects of the position, and reply to routine correspondence.
- Perform other position-related duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological or earth science, environmental studies, nature interpretation, education, or equivalent and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in environmental education or Master’s degree in biological or earth science, environmental studies, nature interpretation, education, or equivalent and a minimum of 1 year experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with a focus on camp leadership and youth development is preferred.
- Knowledge of local natural history, environmental policies and conservation science issues desirable.
- Requires 2 years of prior supervisory experience of staff/volunteers and 2 years of prior experience in budget development and management, as well as revenue forecasting and financial recordkeeping
- Must meet requirements for camp directors consistent with state and ACA standards
- Requires CPR/AED certification and Wilderness First Aid or higher
- Documented experience in and training in ropes challenge course facilitation
- Valid driver’s license required
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s)
Compensation and Benefits
This position comes with a full benefits package, including health insurance, vacation and 403b
How to Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter to:
Welch Narron, Wildwood Director