Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Visitor Center Representative and Ridgerunner - Monson, ME
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 11:00pm
- Incumbent will be the primary staff for the Visitor Center and will also have the opportunity to provide visitor education on the A.T. near Monson.
- Incumbent will be the primary point of contact for all visitors to the Visitor Center including thru-hikers, section hikers, short term backpackers, day hikers and camp groups.
- Incumbent will provide education on Leave No Trace, management regulations and visitor expectations in Baxter State Park, day hiking opportunities in the area and trail and river conditions.
- Incumbent may also organize Visitor Center events and lead presentations.
- Incumbent will also be responsible for working on an approximately thirty mile section of the A.T. as ridgerunners where they will greet, aid and educate hikers on Leave No Trace and management regulations. The split between Visitor Center and on-Trail time will be approximately 70-30, but may vary through the season.
- Incumbent will be expected to work as part of a team, and also cooperatively with Appalachian Trail Conservancy staff, Maine Appalachian Trail Club volunteers and staff, Monson A.T. Community volunteers, Monson town staff and Baxter State Park staff.
- Incumbent will also be expected to work some weekend days and holidays.
- Incumbent must be available June through October.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet and greet the public in the Visitor Center and inform and educate them about the A.T., ATC, MATC, Baxter State Park, and Leave No Trace hiking/camping methods
- Meet and greet hikers on the A.T. in a ridgerunner capacity and educate them about the A.T., ATC, MATC, Baxter State Park, and Leave No Trace hiking/camping methods on the A.T. near Monson. Advise visitors and hikers of rules on the A.T. in the region
- Advise thru-hikers and section hikers on the regulations and expectations for A.T. hikers in Baxter State Park
- Provide appropriate local hike recommendations, informing visitors of local regulations, for those wishing to explore the A.T. and other trails in the general vicinity.
- Provide up-to-date assessments of trail and ford conditions in the 100 Mile Wilderness region
- Support Monson A.T. Community efforts including potential presentations and workshops for visitors at the Visitor Center
- Promote ATC and MATC membership through positive customer interactions that convey ATC’s and MATC’s missions
- Maintain a daily log and submit it to the ATC supervisor and Baxter State Park managers, submit written or e-mailed reports to supervisors at the end of each work period, and submit a written report to ATC at the end of the season detailing highlights, problems, etc.
- Maintain regular contact with field supervisors, club volunteers, agency partners, and local officials.
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to Appalachian Trail and resource protection efforts including regulations
- Knowledge of the Appalachian Trail, ATC and the trail maintaining clubs
- Knowledge of and experience in Baxter State Park
- Active knowledge of Leave No Trace principles, LNT Trainers or Master Educators preferred
- Experience with the Appalachian Trail long- distance hiking community.
- Proven ability to work alone with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication, organization and education skills
- Ability to interact with visitors with varied levels of experience under sometimes stressful conditions
- Proficiency with computers including but not limited to proficiency with the internet, Microsoft Office software and email.
- Previous A.T. volunteer experience preferable
- Current first-aid and CPR certification (Wilderness First-Aid certification is preferable)
How to Apply:
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
All resumes should be titled as “Last Name_First Name.” Please include the position title and your name in the email subject line. If you have questions about the position, please send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover Letter and Resume will be accepted through May 10, 2016.