Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, June 12, 2017, 12:00am
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation (TMPF)
Primary responsibilities will be to assist with VISTA recruitment and retention, create new professional development opportunities for VISTA members, and support the development of new programs alongside a fellow VISTA Leader.
The VISTA Leader will be an essential member of the team for this young nonprofit organization. This person will help to support Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation (TMPF) in expanding and improving existing programs. The VISTA Leader will work in conjunction with a fellow VISTA Leader in assisting the Executive Director in VISTA recruitment and retention by improving and maintaining an applicant database, updating and dispersing position descriptions, and interviewing eligible candidates.
The VISTA Leader will increase the professional development opportunities offered to VISTA members at TMPF, Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful, Carson City Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces, and the Center for Healthy Aging. This person will also expand TMPF’s organizational capacity by creating new fundraising opportunities. The VISTA Leader will help improve data collection procedures and maintain TMPF’s performance measures database.
The mission of Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation (TMPF) is to support the parks departments operating in the Truckee Meadows, including Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County parks. We do this primarily by providing in-park programming and opportunities for citizen engagement. TMPF is an independent, nonprofit organization that began operating in 2013. Our current programs focus on improving community health and wellness and developing people’s appreciation for the natural and cultural history found in local parks.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: September 11, 2017 – September 10, 2018
- Maintain and improve TMPF’s VISTA recruitment database and assist in the creation and dispersion of VISTA service opportunities and VADs;
- Collaborate with other VISTA Leader and Supervisor to continue developing TMPF VISTA on-site orientations and trainings;
- Research and organize professional development opportunities for VISTA members at four different nonprofit organizations;
- Coordinate with the development team to improve fundraising strategies for major donors, grants, and membership, to support TMPF operations;
- Assist the development team in the maintenance of TMPF’s grant tracking database and review grant application drafts;
- Develop protocols for initial contact, cultivation, and stewardship of major donors;
- Improve and maintain a database to track VISTA performance measures and other grant-related information;
- Assist in the compilation of TMPF’s annual report;
- Help update and improve TMPF’s strategic plan;
- Improve and expand current TMPF programs, including the Trails Challenge and TMPF Talks;
- Assist the outreach team with recruiting and retaining volunteers for all of TMPF’s programs.
- One year of AmeriCorps/Peace Corps service REQUIRED
- Passionate commitment to TMPF’s mission and vision;
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Preferred: experience in fundraising and donor cultivation;
- Preferred: AmeriCorps VISTA experience;
- Preferred: experience recruiting AmeriCorps members and volunteers;
- Preferred: experience with event planning;
- Preferred: reading, writing, and speaking competency in Spanish language.
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation’s VISTA Leader is funded by the Corporations for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
In cooperation with our partners, Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation is working to create new and innovative park-based programs that improve stewardship of our public lands. The VISTA Leader will recruit VISTA members for four area nonprofit organizations and lead the development, outreach, and program teams at the Parks Foundation along with a fellow VISTA Leader.
The VISTA Leader will build the capacity and sustainability of the Parks Foundation and its programs by creating relationships and opportunities for engagement with stakeholders. The Leader will maintain and improve TMPF’s VISTA recruitment database and assist in the creation and dispersion of VISTA service opportunities and VADs. This person will collaborate with the VISTA supervisor to develop TMPF VISTA on-site orientation and training and will research and organize professional development opportunities for serving VISTA members. The Leader will coordinate with the development team to improve fundraising strategies to support TMPF operations. The VISTA Leader will also assist in the compilation of TMPF’s annual report and will help update and improve TMPF’s strategic plan.
Position Start Date:
Monday, September 11, 2017
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to Haley McGuire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application will not be considered without a cover letter and resume. Applications are also accepted through AmeriCorps.gov. Search for Student Stewards.
Visit the TMPF website www.tmparksfoundation.org or email/call Haley at 775.453.0566 for more information.
In return for their service, the AmeriCorps VISTA leader receives a modest living allowance of $1,180/month and health benefits during their service and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,730.00 or post-service stipend of $1,500.00 after completing their service. If moving to Reno/Sparks, a relocation travel allowance may be applicable, as well as a settling in allowance.