Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, July 22, 2016, 5:00pm
Website:Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods
Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods
Volunteer Coordinator Job Description
(30-40 hours dependent on seasonal workload, weekend days required)
Supervisor: Programs Manager
Work Location: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve (primary), Austin Creek State Recreation Area and Sonoma Coast State Park (secondary), Sonoma County
Position: The Volunteer Coordinator is a warm, outgoing presence who ensures that all volunteers feel welcomed and at home in the Stewards’ community. She/he is responsible for the recruitment, training, scheduling, and retention of volunteers in State Parks’ Volunteers in Parks programs and Stewards’ education and stewardship programs. The Volunteer Coordinator helps volunteers feel valued and appreciated and able to contribute in ways that meet their needs and the needs of Stewards. The Volunteer Coordinator is also responsible for ensuring that we maximize the participation of adult volunteers in ways that fulfill our mission to be the link between people and their parks. She/he manages Stewards’ relationship with volunteers, is a liaison between regular volunteers, Program Coordinators, staff, and represents State Parks and Stewards volunteer programs in the greater Sonoma County community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate community outreach to recruit volunteers with Bilingual Outreach Coordinator, including face-to-face interactions, social media, and flyers.
- Work with Bilingual Outreach Coordinator to coordinate public relations materials and publicity for volunteer opportunities
- Work with Stewards and State Park staff to recognize volunteers appropriately.
- Screen and match volunteers to programs, and monitor to ensure a good fit. Distribute, collect, and process all new volunteer paperwork. Follow up on Volunteer Center and court ordered referrals and log service hours.
- Coordinate orientation and training for volunteers with Programs Manager and volunteer Program Coordinators, for both group and individual orientations and trainings. Prepare and update training materials, manage attendance rosters and evaluations. (e.g., duty statements, manuals, stipend forms, etc.), follow up after trainings and send thank you letters to volunteers, Program Coordinators, and invited speakers.
- Respond to requests of volunteer Program Coordinators. Communicate with new and experienced docents and volunteers to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful in their volunteer jobs.
- Periodically, visit programs in progress to monitor volunteer success. Requires travel to multiple locations within western Sonoma County.
- Update volunteer database with personal contact and event information and track volunteer statistics (# of park visitors and active/inactive volunteers).
- Coordinate annual program and volunteer assessments with Stewards and State Park staff in order to improve program outcomes.
- May schedule volunteers and field trip dates for school groups.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and preparation for special events and be present as assigned at event. Events run year-round, typically fall on weekends, and peak late June to mid-September, annual Volunteer Celebration is scheduled end of December.
- Help load/unload and staff our mobile marine van (Steward Ship) at schools, special events, and other locations. Requires being able to lift 50 lbs.
- Take photos at events, volunteer trainings, and educational programs. Upload images to the Stewards’ Flickr account. Use photographs to create fliers/training aids and to update our website and social media outlets.
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Nonprofit and prior environmental education experience preferred. Knowledgeable about the natural and cultural resources in Russian River area State Parks and Stewards’ mission and volunteer programs, including redwood forests, oak woodlands and marine ecosystems.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and navigate and hike on uneven terrain for 5 miles.
- Wilderness preparedness skills and First Aid/CPR certifications a plus.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Have excellent listening, verbal, and written communication skills, be comfortable and adept at speaking in front of groups and facilitating groups, and remain calm and courteous under pressure
- Multilingual Spanish-speaker a plus
- Be computer and social media literate – Proficient with MS Office, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, Google docs, databases, Facebook, web postings.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills. Must be organized, accurate, pay attention to details, and be able to multi-task
- Strong judge of character with ability to match volunteers with opportunities appropriately.
- Experience with training and/or leading individuals or groups of volunteers
- Conflict management skills, including dismissing volunteers when necessary with the approval of the Executive Director.
- Able to work both independently and as a member of a larger team
- Ability to work in a fast paced work environment that values relationships, working as a team, and giving and receiving respectful, honest feedback
- Ability to connect with diverse organizations: schools, businesses, government, faith-based and LGBTQ organizations, etc.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record, must pass a background check
- Starting Wage: $15.00 per hour
Status: Part-time to Full-time hourly (30-40 hours/week) depending on seasonal workload. Eligible for PTO after a 3 month probationary period. Medical stipend provided to cover health care insurance premiums.
Organization Information: Available online: http://www.stewardscr.org
Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods is an at will and equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume to Michele Luna, Executive Director by 5pm on July 22, 2016. firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will take place on August 2nd and 3rd. Job starts on August 8.
No phone calls please
starting wage: $15/hour