Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, May 1, 2017, 12:00pm
MILE HIGH YOUTH CORPS:
Mile High Youth Corps helps youth make a difference in themselves and in their communities through meaningful service opportunities and educational experiences.
Summary: The YouthBuild Mentor Position serves as a peer leader for the YouthBuild crew, assisting in creating a positive crew culture and reinforcing continuity of support for YouthBuild graduates. The YouthBuild Mentor will serve closely with all YouthBuild staff and reports directly to the Construction Crew Leader.
Planning, Design, & Implementation
- Assist in the facilitation and implementation of the leadership and construction training curriculums (when appropriate).
- Support the Construction team in the shop and on the service site when appropriate.
- Assist in the development of tool safety and Service Hazard Analysis sheets for use in member training.
- Supporting the design of an efficient tracking system for near misses (injury prevention) on the service site.
- Participate in overall program development with Corps staff.
- Interact with the Marketing and Development Department in recruitment presentations. This may include stand alone presentations as well as active involvement with the Street Outreach Team.
- Implement and facilitate a recognition program amongst Corpsmembers to support positive group morale and a culture of growth.
- Assist the Case Management team in contacting alumni, coordinating and attending alumni events and/or cohort meetings.
- Serve closely with YouthBuild staff to develop ideas and provide peer-focused feedback for programs and curricula.
- Support and mentor youth leaders across the program.
- Attend relevant development trainings.
- Promote individual learning and personal growth among Corpsmembers.
- Promote and maintain positive group morale.
- Maintain the code of conduct, discipline polices and program procedures outlined in Corpsmember handbooks. This includes specifically ensuring that the uniform policy, smoking policy, and language policies are regularly and consistently enforced.
- Commit to helping young adults succeed in an innovative training program, to reorient their lives, nurture their leadership skills, and enable them to make a difference in their community.
- Maintain a safe service site at all times, monitoring CMs and informing staff of any safety violations promptly.
- Participate fully in weekly YouthBuild team meetings.
- Track Corpsmember construction competencies and accomplishment of benchmarks achieved.
- Track MC3 skills attainment in the construction training component
- Track 6 Core Areas to ensure that all CMs are documented as having completed each educational area.
- Maintain and update YouthBuild photograph library for current Corpsmembers, ensuring areas all Corpsmembers are represented in the photos on the construction site and other areas as possible. Serve closely with the YouthBuild VISTA to monitor photos to ensure all program activities are well documented.
- Maintain Corpsmember confidentiality. Report necessary information to supervisor.
- Participate in development meetings when applicable.
- Support lunchtime coverage at the HQ front desk coverage a minimum of one time per week.
HSE or High School Diploma preferred; if no HSE or high school diploma must actively make an effort towards attaining HSE or high school diploma before the end of the term of service.
Experience serving with a diverse group of people in a team atmosphere.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Between 18-24 years old and eligible to legally serve in the United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during the term.
- Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- Must be committed to the values and mission of YouthBuild and Mile High Youth Corps.
- Must be able to serve and learn with a positive attitude and show respect for others.
- Must exemplify Mile High Youth Corps expectations in attendance, uniform, timeliness, professionalism, respect and positive communication.
- Ability to complete tasks in a detailed and timely manner.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Superior people skills, including good speaking and writing skills.
- Ability to serve independently.
- Ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to interact with others in a team atmosphere.
How to Apply:
To Apply: Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (include “YouthBuild Mentor” in the subject line)
Mail: Attn. Jason Vaughn, 1801 Federal Blvd., Denver, CO 80204
Mile High Youth Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Mile High Youth Corps is committed to the inclusion of members with all levels of ability. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request. This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or, in most instances, religion. Mile High Youth Corps’ YouthBuild program receives 75% (914,343) of its funding from the Department of Labor.
Hours & Compensation
- This is a non-exempt, part-time temporary position from April 4, 2017(or sooner)-October 13, 2017. Starting stipend of $440/week. Stipend subject to change based on schedule or performance-based raises. May serve up to 40 hours per week, with some flexibility in scheduling available for secondary education classes. Some evenings and weekend will be required for corps-related functions.
- Enrolled in a 900 hour AmeriCorps slot with an education award amount of $2,887.50.
- May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for sixty days serving 30+ hours a week. Member share of health insurance premium is $80 per month.