Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
CELF Summer Institute Reimagined: Civic Science Inquiry to Action - Interactive Virtual PD
Date and Time:
Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 2:00pm to Thursday, July 30, 2020, 4:30pm
Sunday, July 19, 2020, 5:00pm
The Institute, reimagined as an online immersion program, will inspire, educate, and reignite our collective commitment to educating for sustainability. The program will harness the imagination and energy of our educator community so you are prepared to return to the real and/or virtual classroom with new energy in the fall. Interactive, in-depth, and self-paced, the program is designed for individual or group participation and clearly connects course materials to real-world practice.
Through CELF's partnership with Air Champions – Social Change Scientists (ACSCS) – powered by McMac Cx and Plume Labs – we are able to expand CELF’s Civic Science: Inquiry to Action Air Quality program to schools across the United States and offer every attendee their own portable "FLOW" Air Quality Monitoring Device.
Self-paced activities accessible through (presented as a Tool Kit) will include:
- Flipgrid introductions & pre reading assignments
- Mapping place and your community
- Completion of the Inquiry to Action framework
- CELF facilitated project planning work time
Daily Schedule & Themes:
July 21—Inquiry and Place
July 22—Data Collection and Analysis
July 23—Collaboration and Innovation
July 28—Empowering Student Action
July 29—Environmental Health and Community Science
July 30—Environmental Justice
- Complete a place-based/project-based lesson or unit using a local civic science topic such as air quality, water quality, pollinators, or soil quality.
- Learn about a variety of data collection methods, crowdsourcing tools and monitoring technology and how to use them with your students
- Design a plan to empower student action at your school
- Increase knowledge of project-based learning through Civic Science
- Increase student advocacy for healthy neighborhoods