Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Spring Online NRSM 404/560 Wilderness in the American Context
Date and Time:
Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:00am to Friday, May 13, 2022, 3:01pm
Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 3:02pm
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
• Describe why there are different perceptions of wilderness in society today and how they have evolved throughout history.
• Understand the influences of philosophy, science, religion, and politics on the development of a wilderness ideal in America.
• Explain the basic philosophical and ethical principles connected with an appreciation of wilderness.
• Describe the events leading up to the Wilderness Act of 1964, including the historical context of these events.
• Know the fundamental elements of the Wilderness Act and other legislation as it applies to wilderness management.
• Describe the National Wilderness Preservation System and its function.
• Understand significant international issues and critiques of the American wilderness ideal.