Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
EcoRise: Introduction to Environmental Justice
Hours for Learning Activity:3 learning hours
Date and Time:
Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 5:30pm to Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 7:30pm
This event is for classroom teachers, grades 4 –12. Elementary school educators can join us for a workshop on April 24th by clicking here.
This is a two-day workshop. All participants must commit to both sessions.
Day 1: April 6, 2021 4:30pm–6:30pm CT
Day 2: April 7, 2021 4:30pm–6:30pm CT
Join EcoRise staff and experienced EcoRise educators for a dive into our Introduction to Environmental Justice (EJ) middle and high school curriculum. These multi-session lessons create a foundation for students' understanding of EJ history and concepts and explore how leadership, community action, and policy change can bring long-overdue justice. Students also explore how kindness, compassion, and empathy can contribute to repairing the damage caused by racist behaviors, policies, and systems, creating a better world for all.
This two-part workshop will focus on:
(1) The tools and skills necessary to cultivate the mindset and posture that is essential to effectively engaging students in environmental justice work.
(2) Lesson demos, exploration, discussion, and planning, including -
- Key environmental justice topics at both the local and national level
- A brief EJ Timeline
- EcoRise's beautiful EJ Hero poster series
- EJ solutions, through role-playing advocacy strategies, researching EJ policies, and practicing policy writing.