Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
INSPIRED BY NATURE: Enhancing STEM with Biomimicry Design Challenges
Date and Time:
Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 11:00am
Monday, July 8, 2019, 12:00pm
Join the Biomimicry Institute and partners in Denver, CO on July 9 to explore how biomimicry (nature-inspired design) can support rich, project-based STEM learning experiences in your classroom. This training for middle and high school educators is offered as part of the Biomimicry Youth Design Challenge, a FREE project-based learning program and design competition hosted annually by the Biomimicry Institute.
Each year, hundreds of students discover how animal and plant “superpowers” can give them clues for designing a more sustainable world. Their teachers challenge them to use biomimicry, a rapidly growing new discipline that looks to examples in nature for strategies to solve design and engineering problems.
This workshop for middle and high school teachers (6th-12th grade) will demonstrate how educators can use biomimicry as a framework to engage students in standards-aligned core content while enhancing 21st century skills and empowering our next generation of problem-solvers to think differently about nature, engineering, and the future.
In this hands-on workshop, educators will:
- Learn the fundamentals of biomimicry and begin to see the natural world in a whole new light.
- Learn effective strategies for sharing biomimicry with students and connecting nature with technology, engineering, and design
- Discover how biomimicry and the YDC support Next Generation Science Standards and use a curriculum mapping tool to plan for integrating a biomimicry challenge unit into your course or program.
- Explore ways to connect the YDC to local concerns to create authentic challenge experiences.
- Receive free resources and meet local experts to help support your students' success.
Learn more and sign up: https://biomimicry-ydc-den2019.eventbrite.com
Date: Tues, July 9
Time: 11am - 4:30pm
Location: Washington Street Community Center, Denver, CO