Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Virtual Gear Up Workshop for Marine Naturalists
Date and Time:
Saturday, April 24, 2021, 1:00pm to 8:00pm
Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 8:00pm
The Whale Museum (TWM) is holding an exciting virtual Gear Up Workshop for Marine Naturalists this spring on Saturday, April 24. This workshop will be held from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific Time and registrants will join sessions through the videoconferencing platform, Zoom. The “Gear Up” Workshop will focus on underwater noise and vessel traffic, issues which affect not only the endangered Southern Resident orcas but many other marine mammals as well.
Invited presenters include:
- Dr. Marla Holt, NOAA, on the effects of noise/vessel disturbance on SRKWs and other marine mammals as well as latest DTAG research findings
- Sonja Henneman, Transport Canada, on initiatives to help the SRKWs
- Kevin Bartoy, Washington State Ferries, on initiatives to help the SRKWs
- Port of Vancouver staff on updates regarding the Enhancing Cetacean Habitat and Observation (ECHO) Program
- Port of Seattle staff on the Quiet Sound Initiative
- Scott Rear, Canadian Coast Guard, on the Marine Mammal Desk
- Dr. Erin Ashe and Dr. Rob Williams, Oceans Initiative, on quiet(er) marine protected areas
Questions can be directed to Tracie Merrill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Register:
The registration fee is $35 for non-members; $25 for TWM/SSAMN members. For more information and/or to register, please visit https://whalemuseum.org/products/virtualgearupworkshop2021. Zoom link and workshop agenda will be sent to registrants at email provided at registration closer to start of workshop.
360-378-4710 ext. 23