Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Behavior-Centered Design for the Environment
Date and Time:
Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 8:00am to Thursday, April 2, 2020, 5:00pm
Led by trainers from RARE's Center for Behavior & the Environment, we’ll explore the steps of behavior-centered design, including framing an environmental challenge, gaining empathy with your target audience, connecting research data to behavioral insights, ideation and prototyping, and measuring the success of your behavioral intervention. You will gain a basic understanding of the principles of behavioral science with which we design environmental solutions: Emotions are often more powerful than reason; people are social animals; and context matters. We then begin to apply the tools of behavior-centered design to a specific case study as a team. This is a highly interactive workshop geared toward building expertise in behavioral science concepts and principles and spending meaningful time practicing and applying the insights to your own work. You will leave with an understanding of the behavior-centered design approach and ideas for applying it to your own work.
Who is this training for?
- Conservation and environmental practitioners
- Program designers and policy staff
- Current and future sustainability professionals
Why would a BCD training help me?
- Behavior is at the root of both environmental problems and solutions
- Strategies that incorporate human behavior can achieve larger and lasting impact
- BCD holds the potential for unlocking fundraising opportunities
- It provides a step-by-step process for identifying target behaviors and developing strategies to change them
What will I leave the training with?
- Applicable skills and easy-to-use tools
- Hands-on experience with a behavior-centered design process
- A tutorial on Rare’s behavior change toolkit
- A membership in a learning network of practitioners
What meals will be provided?
Registration includes plant-based lunch and snacks on both days.
Are there any deals for groups?
For every one registration you buy from your organization, a second person can attend for half off!
Are there any student discounts?
If you are a student and you have a real-world conservation challenge you’d like to workshop, please feel free to register at the non-profit rate or keep an eye out for future Behavior-Centered Design challenges.