Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Presidential Innovation Award for Environmental Educators
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 5:01pm
The Presidential Innovation Award for Environmental Educators recognizes outstanding K-12 teachers who employ innovative approaches to environmental education and use the environment as a context for learning. Up to two teachers from each of EPA's 10 regions, from different states, will be chosen.
The White House Council on Environmental Quality, in partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency administers this award to honor, support and encourage educators who incorporate environmental education in their classrooms and teaching methods.
About the Award
- Each awardee will receive a Presidential award plaque and an award of up to $2,500 to be used to further the recipient's professional development in environmental education. They will also receive a congratulatory letter from a senior official from EPA and/or the White House.
- Each winning teacher's local education agency will receive an award of up to $2,500 to fund environmental educational activities and programs.
- Teachers who are chosen for honorable mentions will receive certificates of recognition.
- Teach K-12 on a full-time basis in a public school operated by a local education agency, including schools funded by the Bureau of Indian Education
- Hold a current teaching license from the state (or valid reciprocity from the state for a license from another state)
- Have a minimum of five years of K-12 teaching experience, including at least three years of teaching environmental education and/or an environment-based curriculum
- Anticipate a classroom teaching assignment involving environmental education for the upcoming school year
- Be a citizen of the U.S., its territories or possessions, or lawfully admitted to the U.S. for permanent residency
- Has not been a recipient of this award in the past five years
Resource Types: Contest/Award
Audience Served: Private Schools, Public Schools, Teachers
Age Groups: Adults
Environmental Focus: High: EE Best Practices
Academic Focus: High: Science