Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Sustainability Across the Curriculum: Faculty Workshop
Date and Time:
Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 12:00am
Thursday, May 21, 2020, 11:55pm
Designed for educators from all fields of learning, participants in the workshop share their expertise and collaborate with each other on strategies for adding or enhancing sustainability content in their teaching. Now in its 12th year, the Valley & Ridge workshop takes a broad approach to sustainability that encompasses social, economic and environmental dimensions, uses the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals as an organizing thread, and emphasizes active learning pedagogies such as place-based learning, experiential learning, and service-learning. Come be part of this interactive workshop that brings humanists, scientists and social scientists into conversation with each other about educating for sustainability. The workshop is offered in collaboration with the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
Participants will benefit in the following ways:
- Interact with colleagues from varied disciplines and peer institutions to explore different interpretations of sustainability, its connections with your and others’ fields of study, and approaches to educating for sustainability.
- Use the local environment and community to teach a sense of place.
- Create new or modify existing courses to integrate education for sustainability in your teaching. See past projects here.
- Learn how to use the campus and other resources as ‘living laboratories’ for sustainability learning.
- Share resources for developing and enhancing sustainability content in courses.
- Earn a $1,000 stipend (available only to Dickinson faculty members)
The Workshop Plan:
- We seek up to 18 educators from any field of study to participate.
- We will meet for three days, May 19-21, 2020, at Dickinson’s main campus, the Dickinson Farm and other sites in or near Carlisle, PA.
- We will reconvene for a half day in August 2020, date TBD, to share progress on teaching projects. (Required for Dickinson faculty; optional for others).
- All food and local transportation is provided.
How to apply/register:
Space is limited, so apply soon.
Valley & Ridge Workshop Website (includes all details and application) AT https://www.dickinson.edu/valleyandridge
Neil Leary, Ph.D.