Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Advancing Climate Change Environmental Education: Resources and Suggestions
All resources and files were produced by the Climate Change Environmental Education Professional Online Learning Community Alliance (POLCA) in 2013.
- About Us: An Introduction to the POLCA and Climate Change Environmental Education
- Educators’ Needs: The rationale for our work and our Climate Change Education Needs Assessment Survey
The Research: A summary of the literature from research on how people learn, environmental psychology, and climate change and suggested teaching/learning strategies for applying these research findings and theories.
- Learning Theories and Teaching Strategies
- Environmental Psychology and Teaching Strategies
- Climate Change and Strategies for Teaching and Learning
Standards & Teaching Suggestions: Analyses of Common Core, Science, and Social Studies Standards show where climate change fits into the curriculum and the kinds of discipline-focused practices that learners can use while investigating climate change. For specific standards, we’ve suggested lessons and units (cohesive sequences of learning opportunities appropriate for specific grade bands) that enable students to pursue performance expectations and content in the Next Generation Science Standards, Common Core, and standards for civics and government, social studies, and geography.
- The Importance of Academic Standards
- Science Standards and Grade-Banded Exemplar Units
- Common Core Literacy Standards and Teaching Suggestions
- Social Studies Standards and Suggestions for Climate Change Education
Suggestions for Learner-Focused Inquiries: Here we list “Essential Questions” for each grade band, suggest a template for use with groups of learners (from K to Gray), and give some examples of inquiries pursued by learners of different ages.
- Essential Questions for Each Grade Band
- Inquiry-Based Action Projects for Each Grade Band and Adults
- Essential Questions and Activities for Informal Educators
Downey, L., Gentile, S. J., Hollweg, K.S., Hubbard-Sánchez, J., Johnson, C., Kumler, L., LaRocque, L., Poppleton, K., Shiflett-Fitton, D., Shuttleworth, J. (Eds.). (2013). Advancing Climate Change Environmental Education: Resources and Suggestions. Ithaca, NY: EECapacity, Cornell University Civic Ecology Lab, and North American Association for Environmental Education.